Leg mites- questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Jan 22, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

I discovered the evidence of mites on my does when doing hooves the other day- so everyone got Ivermectin, as was the treatment given to me from the Vet when we had this problem many years ago.
    I recall my Vet telling me to make an ointment out of a powder insecticide mixed with Vaseline -- it seemed to work pretty well. Does anyone know the recipe for this? The powders don't seem to stay on well enough on the legs to do their job. I assume something like Co-ral? Does Sevin kill mites?
    Also when we had lice a few years ago she recomended Frontline spray because we seem to have a big lice probelem in this area according to her- I assume that should work on mites too-- anyone done this? it's pricey though
    So I need to re-do the Ivermectin and re-clean the house in 21 days-- any other tips for me? Thanks!

Susie

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

when the horse got mites in his mane, the vet sprayed on frontline. and I sprayed it periodically every couple of days. it worked great.

-Melissa

3. susie

susie New Member

Thanks! I've ordered it from Drugstores .com got a good deal on it 10 dollars off 50 dollar order plus free shipping-- hope it comes quick! poor girls!

4. BethW

BethW New Member

One of my boys had leg mites this summer..I discovered it just like you did, when I was trimming hooves. I dusted him with Sevin and followed up 10 days later, and it took care of the mites very quickly.

5. susie

susie New Member

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I dusted them with sevin too-- for some reason we always get a touch of lice or mites in the winter either the cows or the goats, so I'm going to try the frontline spray too-- plus I can use it on the dogs. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong as far as management, but like my Vet said we have a problem in our area with lice and mites in the winter-- maybe it's the lack of sun here :( Although I can't complain about that now, we've had beautiful clear COLD weather lately-- have to haul water because the hose won't thaw...

Susie

6. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

What do leg mites/symptoms look like? Shannon

7. susie

susie New Member

Well, my goats had swollen looking legs right above their hooves with crusty looking sores on them, front and back and especially in the back of the foot in the area right above thier hooves. :( I hadn't noticed them because their hair is long on their legs right now. Also in retrospect they were scratching their legs a bit.
    The ivermectin and dusting have seemed to work really well their leg sores are MUCH improved and no more itching. I will repeat both a couple of more times.
    In the past I've had to give penicillin to my goat with sores from the mites, but they seem to be healing up fine w/o it.
    Susie

8. BethW

BethW New Member

My goat didn't have swollen legs, but like Susie's goats, he did have crusty sores right at the coronary band, and he was biting at his feet. Sevin was very effective and I was surprised at how fast his legs healed up.