Laundry Soap?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Beverrlly, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

How do you make laundry soap? I've got tons of soap scraps laying around waiting for me to do something with them. I havent' yet mastered melting down the scraps so I was wondering if I can make laundry soap with it? What do you add to the soap--I think I remember reading Borax somewhere?? Thanks.

Lauren

2. Truly

Truly New Member

Run the soap leftovers thru your food processor to make an almost powder out of it.

Add equal parts soap, borax and baking soda. Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry, even in a big machine.

3. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Excellent! :biggrin

4. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

:yeahthat I add washing soda to mine.
    I make my own soap for laundry from FO Clean Cotton.. mix it a bit lye heavy so it is hard and easy to crumble, place in food processer. Can PM you the recipe if you wish.. but I use 3 TBSP per load.
    Smells great.. and works like a charm, even on hubby's greasy oil infused clothes!!

Rett

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UM guess I need a food processor

6. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I think you could grate it and that way you wouldn't need a food processer.

7. Truly

Truly New Member

I haven't been able to find washing soda. it's made by arm&hammer too, right? They just have baking soda in the laundry section of my stores. So I've just been using the baking soda. I get that pretty cheap at Costco in a 12lb bag.

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

How dfoes it work with cold water washes ?

9. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Okay.. I can answer that.. :biggrin
    To work with cold water wash.. the soap has to be almost a powder form. To do that.. it has to be ground really fine. Regular superfatted soap will not work in the blender. Ask me how I know? It overheats and caused little balls. If you add the washing soda to it.. it makes bigger balls.
    You can grate the soap in one of those little hand graters that turn.. the ones used for cheese. It makes small little squiggly shavings.. which.. no matter how long you dry.. will not crumble if your soap is superfatted. If the shavings are not small enough.. they will not melt in cold water wash.. and you have little spots of soap on your clothes. We have very hard water.. well water actually.. and that is also a drawback.
    I accidented upon making the soap a bit lye heavy.. long story.. disaster soap.. but with a great outcome.
    (the soap was Anise.. which I turned to my advantage) Hunters laundry soap.. :biggrin
    I now make test batches of laundry soap for me and my friend.. Clean Cotton FO.

Baking soda is NOT the same as washing soda.. which is almost like Borax. The Borax and washing soda is a booster for the soap to work.. the soda only takes the odor out and makes the clothes feel softer. Which is great by the way.. it reduces the need for fabric softner.. although with the small amount used in a single wash prolly doesn't do any good.

Rett

10. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

OK. Let me see if I am understanding all this correctly. You ladies are making a dry powder type laundry soap, not a liquid? I have a recipe for a liquid which involves grating a bar of ivory soap and melting that down in a quart of hot water, adding borax & washing soda and more hot and cold water coming up with 2 gal. of laundry product. Tell me yours is easier, quicker and less messy. :?

~Anne

11. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

OMG..it's soooo easy. Once you get the hang of grating the soap.
    I had to find something that was not going to make me crazy.. :crazy Besides.. I have enough in my laundry room without having a 5 gallon bucket of laundry 'goo' beside my washer.. that I KNOW will be spilled.. turned over,,, or dripped on the side of my washer by my 5 year old husband. NO.. I DID not say that!!!! :biggrin
    My laundry soap resides in a coffee can.. next to my washer.. and I figure I get about 30 loads a can.
    Can't beat that!!! Cost me pennies to make.
    The Borax is around $2 a box, the Washing Soda is less than $2.. Baking soda is $.25 a box..(recipe takes 1/2 cup each) Soap is essentially free. Having you own all natural, enviornmentally safe laundry soap you made yourself... Priceless!! (sorry.. I could not resist)

Rett

12. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Thank you Rett. I feel so liberated already. I am just now grating my soap into an empty mayo jar (plastic) and we will see how much I have and then I will use equal portions of the others. woohoo - I can even do this while I'm watching TV. I have been stressing a bit today as I have been sick and have about 3 plus weeks of laundry to do - and I have been working on it all day and of course I am realizing that I am running low on the liquid detergent that I made and stressing because with the week ahead of me I don't know when I would have time to "cook up" a batch of laundry soap. Thank you thank you thank you.

~Anne

13. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

We grate our soap also to make laundry soap, my son works in the oil fields and my DIL swears by it, we use the Dragons Blood fragrance. If the overalls are really bad, she will first use just grated gm soap. Although the Dragons Blood fragrance is very very strong and we really don't care for it by itself, it makes a great great smelling laundry detergent OHH and it works great for washing cloth diapers also!!. As they would say in the diaper sewing forum, it "takes the stink right out" We love it. Carolyn

14. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

15. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I made the fels naptha liquid laundry soap. You guys heard of it? it's fels, borax and washing soda, hot water. After awhile (month or so) we noticed the clothes getting dingy and not smelling clean. Is using your own soap in the recipe making that much of a difference? Shannon

16. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Yes, I used that one too, ions ago. The liquid goo made with fels naptha. And got dingy clothes over time. So I never tried making my own again. I love the idea of a 'powdered' version. Will any soap recipe do or is one better than the other? Hmmm, probably any recipe high in cleansing, right? Maybe even a straight lard soap? Just no superfat?

17. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

I also make my own laundry soap. I have tried liquid and dry I like the dry best. Arm & Hammer washing soda I found at a Kroger's.
    Deana

18. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh duh, I should have known this. CO has the highest 'cleansing'. Lard is only a 1. Does anyone make 'stain sticks'? I've heard of making 100% CO soap with no superfat and using it as a stain stick. I don't think you'd want to scent that but I guess you could.

19. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Well.. got caught by the 'buyer of washing soda for Rett' from Krogers goatlady!!!
    Good to see your paying attention Deana!!!! (who not only gets me my washing soda, she gave me the recipe!!)

Rett

20. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Probably a silly question, but what is CO?

~Anne