Laundry soap question

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Caprine Beings, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

I am making laundry powder. Is the soap suppose to be so wet feeling after being grated? It has cured for 5 weeks. I have orders already I need to fill so any info asap would be appreciated. Thanks Tammy
    Do you think leaving it out over night might dry it some?

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I like mine very dry..did you superfat? I don't use GM in the soap I use for laundry cause it never seems to get powdery enough for me. There is another soapmaker in the area and we have traded bars and hers is perfect to grate up..hard as rock-Hah!
    I don't know if it matters as far as use..maybe just aesthetically. I make mine equal parts grated soap, borax and washing soda..is that what your doing?

3. Caprine Beings

I actually made the recipe Rett put in th recipe section. About the same. And I already made some up. It woorked great for DH's coveralls. GM and all. I love the fact that it smells like nothing, clean. And his yucky, icky covies are clean, except for the pre-historic stains from wrenching. But there is no oil, tranny fluid, or gear oil smell at all. :D I can't stand those smells. Tammy

4. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Aww thanks Tammy!!
    As far as the soap you need to grate.. it needs to be hard.. with no superfatting.
    I make my soap special for laundry soap.. and make it hard as a rock.. so it grates into a powder.

You can use your grated soap.. even though it is somewhat soft and moist.. it just will take a little longer to melt in the wash.
    I noticed that when mine was that way.. it left little specks on my clothes, which I didn't care for. (when I used cold water wash)

5. Caprine Beings

I gave some to my friend who had a baby recently. They love it for her laundry. So I have a customer out of them. Of course I do give them a discount ;). And I love it for my sheets and towels, everything is SOOOOO soft. Tammy