Late Bloomer???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

OK, I posted a similiar thread in Off Topic (called "which one") but I wanted some specific answers from the experts here about bucks in general. What could cause small testicles in a buck? (Nigies if it matters) Could it be nutritional? I'm looking at getting 1 of 2 bucks and the better one has small testicles. The breeder says they are growing and both descended but they are still smaller than expected. I guess my question is--why? Is this usually genetic or management related? Do goats have "late bloomers" and they'll grow eventually? If it is management would it be something I could reverse? Thank you for all your help!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We know from bulls, with no testing on bucks, that testicle size is directly related to the amount of testosterone. More testosterone, more libido, more cows covered. More testosterone more size, more muscle, faster maturity and even with bulls their same age they will breed more cows.

I think honestly...and this goes back to several bucks I personally have seen sold, one to me by a Texas breeder I ate and sent back his paperwork on..that soundness exams at birth are not done well enough before bucks are shipped out. One 'large' breeder sold a buck last year, and then I got an email from the gal "At what age do bucks testicles usually drop?"....a buck sold with no testes in his scrotum, the breeder told her he would grow into them.

First make sure that what you are seeing isn't normal small buck thing, compare him at the same age as other bucks. Within reason some bloodlines are slower to mature, which also will make for younger bucks who will not breed as soon, with of course smaller testicle size. If this is genetic stop breeding it. Vicki

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I also remember reading some material several years ago that tried to link the larger circumference of bull testes to the production of more female offspring.

I think I would pass on the smaller one if I were looking for a breeding buck.

4. Melissa

Melissa New Member

hmmm. so bigger IS better. think I'll go check on my boy and do some measuring.

-Melissa

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If your not a cattle person you may not know this but they actually have things to measure them with in cattle ;) Vicki

6. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

How old is this buck? My nigies all seem to have pretty large testicles (especially compared to their size). They all seem to be fairly standard though...have never had one where I said "hhmm, wonder why so small" or "oh my look how big they are" ..lol!! Exactly how small are they? Do you have a pic maybe?

7. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

No, unfortunately all I have is the breeders opinion and she's really far away. :sigh I guess I'll go the safe route...