Lambbar Nipple

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KingsCoGoatGuy, Dec 29, 2008.

1. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Do you cut a bigger hole on them or leave them? They have a hole about the same as my screw on nipples had when I cut them.. I am unsure what I should do??? I have a WHOLE 39 days left to find it out though! :rofl

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

the caprine nipples that I have are just fine the way they are. Not sure what nipples you have, so can't say for sure but the ones we use to make the lambars you leave the holes alone.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Nope leave them be. When you cut your prichard teat screw ons, do you know you aren't supposed to cut them across? You are supposed to cut an X into them, through the tip into the sides, and through the tip and into the sides. I didn't know this until I opened an old bag of them that someone gave me when they dispersed their herd, they came with directions and a diagram. Vicki

4. KingsCoGoatGuy

OK great. Yes they are the same ones from Caprine Supply Sondra.
    I have found that they have lasted longer when I cut them across instead of the "X". Not sure why, but I tried both ways on nipples from the same box used the same amount of times per day. Maybe my kids suck hard?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I quit using pritchard along time ago after Vicki got me on the caprine nipples. I have a couple left and have only used on a premie now.

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

The caprine nipples, are those the gray ones?

7. KingsCoGoatGuy

Yes. The same grey nipples that reach down to the bucket with tubes.

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I got a couple from Sara when I picked up the kids ( I was going to say last year! ha!) but ended up not using them. Hmmm may have to make a purchase there. :/

9. francis farms

francis farms Guest

so how do you switch from a pritchard nipple to a caprine nipple for a lambar. Mine won't go near it and they scream for the pritchard. The buck I have figured it out if I use it in a 20 ounce bottle but if it is attached to the bucket, forget it. He won't go near it at all, frustrating to say the least. Sorry to hijack

10. Theresa

Theresa New Member

The way I have found to be the best is to start with the lambar nipples on the coke bottle for the first day or so and then move to the lambar. Make sure that the lambar is very full the first few times. You might have to hold their heads with their mouths on the lambar the first few times. Usually what happens is some will get it quickly and then you will just have one or 2 dumb ones that take forever to catch on. But the sooner you can get them on to the bucket, the easier it is.
    Theresa

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I also start ALL my kids on the caprine nipples. Unless it's a VERY SMALL ND, or maybe a weak kid (which is tubed here then started on the caprine nipples) there's no reason to have to switch nipples.
    Yes, leave the holes alone, they are plenty big enough for newborns up to weanlings.

The earlier you get kids on a lambar the less trouble you have switching them from bottle to lambar. If they don't want to take the nipple (well, unless it's a hard-headed boer) skip a feeding. They'll gladly take the nipple when they get hungry enough.
    Shoot, I just put a 3 week old WILD beef calf ~cow dried up~ on a bottle...but it took skipping feedings for 2 whole days...by the morning of the 3rd ? that heifer decided that was some good stuff coming out of that bottle and hasn't looked back yet!
    Kaye