Lambar question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by debrad636, Dec 23, 2008.

1. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

Hi all,
    I hope all of you are ready for Christmas, and the New Year of new babies!
    I know I can't wait for my 1st babies to hit the ground!
    The question is, when feeding multiple kids from a lambar, are there problems with one kid getting more milk than he should? Also, don't you have to limit the amount of milk a kid gets per feeding, so they don't get scours?
    I have a bucket, with multiple nipples. No hose to separate bottles on the inside. Just put milk in bucket. New, but I never used it. This past year, had just a couple of kids at a time. This year, watch out! I have 4 does due in Jan, 6 due in March. My mother-in-law helps with the bottle feeding, but it might get too overwhelming for her, and me. :crazy

Thank You
    Deb

2. ButterflyMorn2001

ButterflyMorn2001 New Member

Good morning,
    I think I can help on this one.
    A lambar (nipple bucket) is supposed to have tubing going from each nipple down to the bottom of the pail. You can pop out one of the nipples and go to local hardware store and get plastic tubing that'll fit. Get several extra feet so you can change them out if needed, I frequently loose mine when I tear the buckets down for cleaning or at the end of the season. Expect to pay about $.50/foot for the tubing.
    If you only have a couple of kids at a time, you can put quart jars into the bucket. Just put each kid on a nipple and insert thier tube into thier jar. Yes, you usually do end up with a hoggy kid that'll finish first then try to root out the others. If that happens, just remove that kid when (usually a male) his jar is empty.
    At first I start with warm milk for feedings and just take the bucket out at feeding time. As the kids get older, about 2 weeks, I switch to free choice COLD milk feeding. Do this after they've already been fed thier warm milk and are back to munching on hay. This way, they can some often but, with it being cold, they don't drink as much in a hurry.
    To keep it cold you can freeze soft drink bottles and pop them into the buckets as needed. Pull out the thawed bottles and replace with other frozen ones. Wash off the thawed ones and refreeze.
    Be sure the kids have free choice hay in front of them at all times and by a couple of days old, you can start offering them grain. Not that they'll eat it but they'll be used to seeing/nibbling on it and won't be such hogs about it later on. Offering the hay asap will help to develop a nice big rumen. They can't process a lot of food to change into a lot of milk if they don't have the rumen capacity. ;)
    I hope that this has helped.
    P.s. I forgot, there are the buckets that have the nipples at the bottom of the pail. Those don't have tubes. They have a special nipple to help prevent leaking milk. No, you can't seperate those out as to who gets how much milk. These are usually sold on the square buckets. I have two of these buckets that I just got and will be trying them out for my cold milk feedings.
    p.s.s. For cleaning out the tubes on the regular Lambar buckets, you can go to a pet store (Wal-Mart is where I get mine, in the fish section) and get thier filter cleaning brushes. Several different sized brushes in a package and about the same cost as one tube brush from Caprine Supply. They can also be used on soda/baby bottles and your milk machine tubing/inflations. :D
    Michell Shrum
    Butterfly-Morn Dairy Goats
    Watertown, TN.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also make my own lambars, the premade ones you buy are really too big to start kids on, especially if you have high multiples who are smaller, they simply don't have the sucking power to get the milk from the bottom of the bucket up through the tube and out the nipple without exhausting themselves. Or...you have to fill the bucket up to the top which wastes milk when they are young. I make little lambars (5/8 inch paddle bit which are about $5 at Lowes will cut holes through the plastic buckets (mine is over 20 years old)) I start with little 1 gallon buckets, and even have a few smaller than that. The kids start on colostrum in bottles and maybe one more day of milk in bottles then onto the lambar, you do have to help some for a few feedings, but most catch on very quickly.

I don't limit the milk my kids get so other than checking for full round bellies I don't worry about my kids as long as they hit the lambar hard drink agressively, some stop sooner than others, but I think they simply drink more faster.

I can't do the free choice cold milk here, you end up with yogurt and then cheese as the temps rise.

Although I do keep hay out for my kids, I start them on grain I want them eating a high protein grain/feed before they bullk up on hay. It builds the rumen faster, gets them bigger and is the perfect food with all the milk, plus they have to be eating alot of grain for them to be weaned from their milk. Vicki

4. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

OK, when you say "Lambar", are you talking plain bucket w/nipples round the bottom, no messing with the interior container & the tubes? Of course, I would NEVER infringe on anyone's patent or steal their design. ;)

Tom

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No.

Lambars are the pails with the nipples at the top and tubes going into the milk. The kids drink the milk through a straw so to speak.

The other type of kid feeders (nipples on the bottom of the pail and no tubes) leak terribly.

Sara

6. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Vicki do you setup your 1 gallon lambars like the 2 1/2 gallon ones with the tubes or do you put the nipples down at the bottom?

Also do you use the same nipple with all buckets?

7. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Since we are on bottle talk. How much do kids drink at one time. If I don't want to purchase a bucket (we only have 2 does due in March and one in April) what should I purchase. What is the difference between regular nipples and the prichard nipples. I know Vicki said that they should have 20 oz. of colostrum the first 12 hours of life and they usually do that in two feedings....wow lots of milk. When they say coke bottles, do they really mean the 2 liter soda bottles? How do you clean them?

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Linda, I will just tell you that even with 2 does it will be alot of bottles if each has 2 kids. And they will all want to eat at the same time! So, you might want to consider a small lambar. That way you can feed all of them at once. But if not then you can get nipples at the feed store (I think they are black) that will fit the top of a coke bottle. Use the 16 or 20oz bottles, the ones that you get at the gas stations. Most kids will drink about 20oz 3-4 times daily. OK, so maybe not right at first but it will not take long for them to get to that amount. I never found a very good way to wash the bottles so would just do the best I could and when they were not good anymore, throw them away and get new ones. Oh, and you have to cut the hole in the nipple bigger or they will not be able to get the milk out.
    Theresa

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Vicki's small lambar uses the lambar nipples at the top with the tubes
    I use a 3lb coffee can to start them off with or a little bucket what ever you use you want a lid.

10. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I use this sort: http://www.milkbar.co.nz/Country Product Pages/prod NZ.htm
    Scroll to the bottom the lamb/kid ones are bright pink! They work great and as you can see some have separate compartments to control portions. I feed mine 3x daily, these teats and bars are the best I've tried.
    Vanessa

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

edited above to make the url work
    Vanessa those are realy nice

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

OH Shoot Australia, I was looking to see how much they are. shipping would probably be pricey

13. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Hamby sells them :)
    Vanessa

14. NubianSoaps.com

What we found with two different gravity feeders is they leak. I think baby goats hit the nipples much harder or something than lambs do, plus I keep mine on milk for so much longer.

I just start asking my family who drinks bottled water or sodas to save me them...16 to 20 ounce bottles, so I can just ditch them after using them once. Yes you could clean them but I only use two or three bottles per kid and it's just more work. Then onto the lambar. I use the little lambars so I can fill them to the top so sucking is easy. I just keep two lambars going all the time, so one is clean and one is being used. Eventually they get offered 4 lambars a day as much as they want and I immediatly run cold water through it, then bleach water...I only take it apart and use a tube brush on the weekends. I save any wasted milk, if you warm soured milk it will get thick and make a mess of the tubes in the lambar, and use it for soap milk.

I do the same thing all the time, so for me it's just repetitive, but no way even if I had 3 kids would I use bottles.

I start my kids on lambar nipples on soda bottles for colostrum, for milk and then onto lambar nipples on lambar buckets. I rarely have kids who use prichard teats. Even tiny quints suck off lambar nipples. Vicki

15. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Great I thought that is how you setup yours, but figured I better check before I start drilling holes. :p

I have several buckets coming so I can have enough to go around. This year I only have three does bred, but next year will be another story. :biggrin

16. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

just remember you have to have something to hold those lambar buckets down, or they are so agressive that they will pull the over. I have one of the lambar racks that is welded to a tire rim, which is the way most of them are (bucket sits inside) and one that I put inside a milk crate and bungy coreded. One milk create with rocks in it, second milk crate sites on top of rocks inside first milk crate, lambar bucket inside second milk crate with bungy cords to hold it down! I have bungy coreded them to the fence before, but sometimes that is not enough.

Sheryl

17. NubianSoaps.com

I should take a photo of mine. Husband welded a bucket holder that holds small buckets and up to 3.5 gallon buckets wide or the 5 gallon buckets with rebar. Then he put points like this > around the bottom of the rim, 3 of them so there is no busting at the bucket and trying to knock the whole thing over. So in the grass it looks like a star. They are about 12 inches long so there is no tipping it over. Vicki

18. shawhee

shawhee Member

Yes Vicki - a picture would be great. I am trying to figure out how to make my own lambars now after pricing them ugh!

19. ButterflyMorn2001

ButterflyMorn2001 New Member

Tip, for buckets, check out local bakeries/deli/schools. Our school gets in 5 gallon sized pickle buckets and a friend works in the bakery at Krogers... she gets me icing buckets in 2 gallon size. Most can be had for the asking, lids included.
    Michell Shrum