Lambar Feeding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo@LaudoDeumFarm, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

I have a lambar sitting on a shelf in my garage. It's been there for two years. How do you all get the kids on them? Can you share some tips for us?

2. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

I feed them with pop bottles with the lambar nipple on it for starters. Then switch them over to the bucket. Since they are used to the nipple it isn't that hard for them to catch on. I just put them in front of the nipple on the bucket and let them suck my finger and then guide them onto the nipple. After a few feedings like this they just "get it" that that is where the milk is.

Vicki in NC

3. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Get rid of Nubians and Nubian crosses :biggrin

Seriously, though - I have lots of tips. Start the kids on lambar nipples from the get go. I've only had a couple of kids, including NDs, that I have had to use a smaller nipple on. Get the kids to stand and nurse as soon as they are able and get the nipple at the right angle to mimic the lambar. Make some sort of mini-lambar, there were photos posted for a coffee can lambar. Or we use a smaller bakery pail or whatever. Make sure the milk is very close to the top of the lambar initially (hence the mini size). Put the kid on the nipple. Some won't open their mouths, some will pull back and want to do it themselves, some won't suck. Some will turn sideways like they would nurse from mom. Work with them, most will figure it out and start to suck immediately. Just watch them since the babies sometimes don't like to stand still to nurse. Check for full tummies. Most of our kids are on a lambar by day 2-3. I don't know why we ever thought we liked to clean bottles!

I think that the height of the nipples and the ease of getting milk are the most important.

Trisha

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey Trisha those are Nigerian Dwarfs so your pun against Nubians doesn't fly.
    Jo they have all given you go hints.

5. Bethany

Bethany New Member

What's up with Nubians?? Mine were all on the lambar by a 3-7 days old. Some of them I had to guide a bit, but once they got a suck they'd go for it. A couple of them figured it right out all by their self, when they saw the others doing it. It's totally worth any effort, I don't know why I went for several years of individual bottle feeding when I could have done it this way. :sigh

6. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Huh, before kidding started I "figured" I should have dragged that thing out to get them on it from the get go! GRRR.

Since I have more kids coming along in a week or so I'm going to start over with them and try an get them on it from the start. These other ones, I don't know. It took me almost a week before one of them figured out eating went much better if she opened her mouth.

I understand about the Nubian/cross thing but Kinder's are so sweet tempered. I want to go drag that thing down and look at it. How hard would it be to get the others started on it now, do you think?

trisha, how do the Niggies do on it? Are the nipples too big for them?

7. Start them right away! I put kids on the bucket at 12-24 hours old.
    Trisha had some great tips!
    Becky

8. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Jo - I'll see if I can get some photos of our mini-lambar. It is the perfect height for starting the Nigies and no the nipples are not too big for them if they are nursing a bottle well, they can nurse the lambar. For our Alpines (and our one Nubian cross - gasp!!!) we put the mini-lambar on one of those plastic step stools. Again, it makes it the perfect height for them. Once the kids get the hang of the lambar and NDs seem to catch on especialy fast - they do like their groceries - the height isn't all important but we've found it makes starting the kids much easier. I've taught a few of the odd out NDs that show up in the midst of our Alpine kids to stand on their back legs and put their front legs on the step stool so they can reach the lambar. No problems at all with that.

Another thing, I don't know where you feed your kids but ours start in a building with tile flooring. Tile flooring makes for a good chuckle when watching kids who are so busy trying to nurse that they forget how to stand up but after the first couple of belly slides it gets old. We put a very thin floor rug underneath the lambar area.

I don't think it would at all hard to start your older kids on a lambar but the key would be to get the milk level up so they can easily suck - or in our house we will help hold their muzzles so they get the right suction to pull up the milk. It is so funny, some of the kids get so mad at us "helping" them and then all of the sudden... milk! Suck, suck, suck, wag, wag, wag - happy goats & happy people.

Trisha

9. I have a training bucket too. It holds 1 gallon, but late born kids usually go straight to the big pail.
    Becky

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Jo are these kids on the lambar nipples already?? my problem last year was none of mine were on the lambar nipples to start off with and even my tiniest mini's can suck a lambar nipple but since I didn't have them they were on baby bottle nipples and for the life of me I couldn't get them to change.

11. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We do most of the above. First day is lambar nipple on a bottle, by day two it is lambar only.
    On lambar day one, we have to re-attach them a lot when they fall off. A lot of that day is spent holding their heads in place, gently from behind. But they get it quickly and within a day or two can get back on themselves when they fall off.

When we just have a couple kids, we put the milk in mason jars inside the lambar. Helps to know who drank how much and also helps them get it up the straw easier.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make sure your kid are reaching up to get onto the nipple, it should not be eye heighth. My lambar holder is a rim of a tire, in which we welded a bucket holder made out of rebar. Holes a 3 and 1/2 and a 5 gallon bucket for later. It has V's welded on the bottom makes it look like a star in the grass, so the babies when older can't tip it over when they come rushing. Little babies put their front feet up on the rim to reach to nurse, older kids dont' have to.

The having the milk right under the nipples for young kids is really important they simply don't have the strength to suck the milk up from the bottom of a bucket. At one to two weeks old I move to the big lambar.

My mini lambars hold 1 and 1/2 gallons of milk so I can still feed 6 little ones. Vicki

14. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Trisha,
    :rofl You sound like me in my "demented" sense of humor!
    I've had one that after two days of grabbing the lambar nipple and PUSHING...not sucking. Take her off, put her mouth on nipple, push again. about 1/2 way through the lambar she'd start sucking.???
    I got ticked off! Quit putting her back on...she missed one feeding by pushing on the nipple...next feeding, that nonsense STOPPED. She sucked from start to finish and no pushing. ;) She's decided that it's better to have a full belly than to push on that nipple!
    Kaye

15. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

HA-HA. Here the only ones who have consistent problems understanding the lambar....Alpines and Alpine crosses. I am about to be rid of my last one....YAY!!!! :p
    I think its more a bloodline thing than a breed thing, myself.

16. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Just so you know, you can still put older kids on a lambar even if they aren't used to the nipple. Mine were 3 weeks old, used to Pritchard nipples and they went on the lambar like pros after a day or two of "teaching". Now I can get 2-3 old babies on it. They take some guiding but catch on pretty quick.