LAMBAR FEEDING QUESTION

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SANDQ, Feb 4, 2013.

1. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

This season we are changing from bottle feeding milk replacer, to feeding mums milk back to the kids in a lambar ( economic reasons ).
    We will not be giving free choice, it will be controlled, what amounts of mums milk should be fed untill weaning, as the only amounts we have to work from are from last years milk replacer bags.
    As replacer is full of suppliments, we are thinking these amounts are not enough for feeding whole milk.

2. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

I feed them as much as they'll drink at one time. I start out feeding every 4 hours for 24 hours, then move to 4x/day for a couple of days then to 3x/day until they are not finishing one feeding, then I'll move to twice a day. I start out with about 8 oz, but if I remember, they may take only 4 - 6 oz that first feeding or two. Then I just keep upping it as they start finishing it until they're up to 20 oz or more per feeding.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What amounts of milk replacer did you use, and were you happy with the results?

If I remember correctly your goats were on the smaller side. Once grown, about 3 to 4 weeks of age, you can eaisly move to 2 or 3 times a day, 16 ounces at a time, offering them hay and grain or hay and browse. Since you aren't growing out show kids, free choice, unless you simply have no outlet for milk, than of course simply offer them all the milk you have 2 or 3 times a day.

The full feedings you hear talked about on here is about getting kids to weight fast enough to be bred that first year/and/or to be big enough to show. You don't have to really worry about either of those things.

Limited amounts of milk more often, is of course the way to go if you can do the labor. You will love the lambar no matter which way you choose. Vicki

4. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

Im now starting to use my lambar. For the 1st 24 hrs my kids were fed from a bottle using a pritchard teat, the second day we swithced from the pritchard to the lambar teat on the bottle and they took to it no problem. Now we are having problems getting them to suckle from the lambar teat on the bucket. When fed on the bottle the teat is in their mouth with their head up, obviously other wise they would just be sucking in air. Now the teat is on the bucket it sticks out horizontally and they just dont seem to be getting the idea, on how to suckle from it. Any advice would be appreciated.

5. We feed kids using lambar. We always try to have the kids on the lambar before they are a week old. :) I do let them eat as much as they want at each feeding so technically not free choice since they don't have the milk available 24/7 but they do have all they want at each feeding. ;) They seem to do very well on that.

Normally we feed the newborn kids from a bottle to ensure they get a good amount of colostrum. Then we get them eating on the ground, standing up w/ the bottle (for the colostrum, we have them on our lap. Like I said, we don't want to waste the colostrum and we want to make certain they get enough.) Then we switch them over to the lambar. I normally have to put each kid on the lambar and hold the kid there until they realize there is milk if they nurse off the lambar....some kids take longer to learn....I have 13 kids I'm attempting to get on the lambar...some have figured it out...lol

6. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

We only have 3 at the moment and thats quite complex, mind you they are only 4 and 2 days old. I thought I would post pic of lambar and the stand I made for it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  7. NubianSoaps.com

I use the lambar nipple for colostrum on a soda bottle, then I make little 1 gallon lambars so I can fill the milk up to right under the nipples. This way it takes very little sucking for a goatling to get a full tummy. No way can some little ones suck up from the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, when you only place a few inches of milk in the bottom of the bucket, they exhaust themselves trying. By filling the bucket to the near top with milk, right under the nipples, the milk is sitting in the nipples, hungry enough they figure it out really quickly without tiring. I do stand behind the kids and help stupid ones, usually Nubian boys :)

8. Blackbird

Blackbird New Member

Baha, yup, the Nubian boys!!

I have smaller lambbars for the little kids, but what I do for the first week or so is attach one way check valves to the ends of the tubes, and submerge the tube under the milk to fill it before attaching it in the teat. I find it's a big help until they catch on to the idea.
    I am not sure about your location but I've purchased them from Hoegger's before.

9. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

Vicki I remember you posting some pics of your homemade lambar, can you remind me where they were, Merle my teats have one way valves in them, but they are a dead loss, they are also supposed to stop the flow of milk when the kid is suckling, but they dont. Sally has just pointed out to me, that its the 2 boys not the 1 girl of my cross breeds who have a better idea on how to suckle from my lambar.

10. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

To help them adjust to the different angles when switching from a bottle to the lambar, I held the Lambar the first few times (and the boys are the last to get it, it seems). While holding the lamabar you can raise it or lower it so that it ends up sticking right into their mouths. Also sometimes I have to let them suck my finger then move my finger toward the bucket/nipple.

11. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

12. Horsehair Braider

Horsehair Braider New Member

For getting kids on the Lambar: When they are little and just starting out, I actually (I would not admit to this just anywhere, so please don't tell anyone) go around to all the teats and suck milk up into the tubes myself. Naturally this is right after I have just washed everything thoroughly and filled the bucket with milk. This way the kids learn that the milk comes from the nipples and they learn to suck vigorously, because there is milk just right there for them.

I will hold kids on the nipple. I open their mouths and stick the nipple in, then just hold them there until they start sucking. They've already learned to use the Lambar nipple so it's not a problem. I might have to do this for the first 5 feedings or so, especially with kids who are so ANXIOUS to eat that they don't get on the nipple right... but by the second or third day, they are all latching on, even when a little under one week old, and nursing away.

No, the one-way valve will not stop the milk flow when gravity is affecting milk in the tube. When the nipples are at the bottom, like in your picture of the blue bucket, gravity will pull the milk right out. On my bucket the nipples are at the top.

The other thing I do, especially if the milk does not reach the top, and most especially with young kids before I change them to cold milk, I put clean canning jars filled with hot water in the bucket. This raises the level of the milk by displacing some of the milk with water-filled canning jar, while helping keep the milk at the temperature I want. I find that 6 pints will fit nicely around the bucket. The other thing this does is give the bucket enough weight that the kids can't pull it over. Which they will. So look at this picture, even though the kids are all on one side and pulling down like mad, the bucket is hanging level... even though it's only hanging by the handle. There are 6 jars filled with water in it. These are one week old kids.

[​IMG]

13. SANDQ

SANDQ Senior Member

Hey Jacquee, thanks for sharing your secret with me, I wont tell anyone, as long as you dont tell anyone, I too sucked on the teats of my bucket to try them out. I like your system, and know exactly what you mean by tubes and valves, I designed and built a system like this for feeding calves a few years ago, except, my system was 1 calf 1 bucket 1 teat so we could control the amount each calf drank. Thinking about it, it is a far better system than my blue bucket, having said that I have just fed my 3 and they are catching on slowly. the problem seems to be that when they detach from the teat to breath, they then have trouble finding it again. I put a 20 oz coca cola bottle filled with water in the bottom of my bucket to displace the milk a little, my wife thinks its a neat idea to fill it with warm water, like you do with your jars. Only time will tell, but Im going to work through this season with my buckets, I may well change it next season. Heres a photo of last years system.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  14. NubianSoaps.com