LaMancha Ears

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by coso, May 20, 2008.

1. coso

coso Guest

I've had Lamanchas for a few years now and never have had one that's had an ear infection. But I do now. I was leaning over her the other day and it smelled bad :ick What do y'all do for it. I've got some human eardrops. Think that would work about as well as anything?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Probably would work but don't know.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I would get a swab of it and have your vet check it out. Some of the more yucky smelling ones are yeast infections and the others are bacterial, rarely is it ear mites, except in cats. Once you know what it is, treating it with the appropriate meds should clear it up quick.

4. Shereen

Shereen New Member

I had a gal with an inner ear infection that I had to treat with antibiotics. So now every few months I shave the hair on the ear so it can drain better, squeeze some of the junk out and put a few drops of ear oil into the ear.
    It's kinda gross but I regularly pick the crust off the ears so they don't get clogged up.
    This is what I use http://www.wallysnatural.com/ear_oils.html
    Since I've been doing this I haven't had a single issue with their ears.

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

My LaManchas get dramatically gunky ears sometimes but it is odorless. I squish it out and try to keep the canal open and clean with vit. E oil.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use Vit E also but have never had what I call an infection with the LaManchas knock on wood.

7. coso

coso Guest

Ok, Thanks I took a Q-tip last night and dipped it in Biomycin and kind of went in and swabbed it out. It seemed better this morning. I may try to use the human ear drops tonight and keep that up for 3 or 4 days. It doesn't seem swollen or anything and the stuff that came out was more of a whitish looking stuff. Just looked like infection.

8. Rose

Rose New Member

I squirted some chlorhexaderm in my LaMancha's ear orifices when they got icky.

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

biomycin systemically. penG in the cleaned ear. we were told that the mite drops for do0gs used monthly can help prevent this.

we have had 2 with this and nboth times for us it was lackof appetite and fever that let us knopw that something was wrong.

10. coso

coso Guest

I think I got it cleared up. I couldn't smell anything out of it last night. And I put in some antibiotic eardrops that the doctor gave me when I had an ear infection . I think I'll try to clean it out again and put Pen G in it to be safe. Thanks everyone.

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I am a big fan for neosporin and I just put some on Q tip or cotton ball and clean out the ear, it takes away and odor,kills bacterias and also keep the ears from stinking for weeks.