lactation cycle?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, May 3, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

I have a nubian doe that freshened on 1/19 (2nd freshener). I've been getting a good full gallon of milk everyday since we took the kids off her at 3 months old, two weeks ago. Before that I was milking only once a day and was getting about a half gallon in the morning. In the last few days, though, her production has dropped just a bit. I haven't weighed the daily milk (don't have a scale) but I'm getting about a pint short of a gallon the last couple days. At first I thought it was just a down day, but since it's now about 3 days of the same amount, I'm wondering if it has to do with the lactation cycle? or if I should be worried that it's dropping? It's not a large amount, but it is going down a bit, and I would think that at 4 months fresh, she should be at peak production.

The girls each get about 3 pounds alfalfa pellets a day, but the last few days none of them have been finishing their pellets completely (two are very close to kidding). She's also "low man on the totem pole" so I wonder if she's getting all she needs. They each have their own buckets, where the pellets are spread out, but they share and go back and forth between them. I thought that having the pellets in more than one location would help with the bullying, but now I wonder.

Thoughts or advice? or am I worrying over nothing?
    Kathy

2. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

What did she do during her first lactation? I assume that will be your biggest indicator of whether it is her lactation or her nutritional needs.

One of my nubians gave over 8 pounds a day for the first several months. But by 6 months she was down to less than a pound a day. So I sold her b/c a long level lactation is more important to me.

My new alpines have dropped a couple of times for a day or two, but then their production comes right back up. I'm assuming it is b/c they are still settling in.

I hope it's just a temporary thing!
    PJ

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I seem to remember that even the weather can affect milk production. Has anyone else heard this?

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

This is the one thing I've noticed with some of my does who raise their kids. When they have the kids on them, they are basically being milked round the clock except when they are sleeping. They also come in mornings and evenings to be milked by me. When I first take the kids off them, they get real full and give alot of milk. A few weeks later, their production will drop off a bit as the demand for milk is reduced to twice a day. My does who haven't had kids on them seem to have a more level lactation.
    I have also noticed changes in milk production affected by their heat cycles and changes in the weather. Kathie

5. Dawn

Dawn Guest

Have she been dewormed lately?

6. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

7. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Thanks for the input, everyone.

That I don't know. I bought her after she was about 5 months fresh (I think). At that point she wasn't giving much, but she hadn't been milked - was just nursing her baby, who was trying to be weaned at that time. So, after I had her a month, I dried her off anyway. Turns out it was a good thing to do, since she'd been re-bred and we didn't know it. It was time to dry her off anyway (which is also a reason her production could have been down.)

Might be. However, the weather here has been nice spring weather, with the exception of the storms we've had.

I thought of this too. I wondered if it might be the reason. Glad to know it wasn't just me :).

Yep, just a little more than a month ago.

Wow. I thought it was later. Thanks for the link - I'll read up.

Thanks again everyone. I feel better now :)
    Kathy