lactation curves

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Nov 5, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i am wondering about lactation curves--can a person breed for longer lactations, i am guessing so. is there anything i can do to increase my does' lact. lengths? is there certain bloodlines that are known for long lacations? thanks

2. Lactation curves...are all about management. There are some lines that are more prone to level lactations. But, that depends on the management of the animals. They have found out that production levels are only as good as the management levels. So bad management then you get bad lactations. That is why with any buck production proof it takes more daughters in one single herd to make the proof than a couple of daughters in alot of herds.

Ken

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ditto Ken :)

Biggy is to freshen these goats yourself. Never blame a doe for her lactation or lack there of when she has had a move into your farm during the lactation.

Stress is huge...dogs, boss animals, weather (the hurricane ruined our production for the year) and nutritional stress a goats fight disease/parasites while trying to grow and lactate. Vicki

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

There are many breeders who breed for "long level lactations". Now maybe we just do our management really really well, but I do think that the genetics have a lot to do with it as well. Lori Acton (Des ruhigestelle for Saanens) not only breeds for long level lactations, but tweaks for components (protein, butterfat) as well.

Breed probably has a lot to do with it as well as does the mystical "will to milk" that some does and breeds and lines within breeds seem to exhibit. Just our experience and we do like to zaminate herds we like and how well their girls milk.... Camille

5. chewie

chewie New Member

so far, i am thinking its me! as i just stated in another thread, the grain had been infested with weevels, which eat the 'heart' from the grains, leaving what i am thinking, a big pile of filler. time to buy new. its at least an easy start to try.

and i am soooo very excited to freshen them myself this next year, that is for sure! they all gave a good amt. for a while, then dropped fast. so i think its me. now to figure out where/why/how.

6. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Chris,
    Yes, the weevils have taken the a big amount of energy value out of your grain. Much less the fact that they will spoil the grain as well and cause the does to not want it. The fact the does are eating it all tells me they are doing so only because they are doing so to try to maintain their body condition and will not have extra for production. I would feed it to my chickens not my does.
    Tim

7. chewie

chewie New Member

it never dawned on me til just a few days ago--i dont' have chickens, and there isn't much there, no real loss. when in town tomorrow, i'll get new.

8. chewie

chewie New Member

just in case someone does a search and finds this thread, i'm posting a follow up....

they didn't even like the new pretty grain at first. one did however, a FF who i'd all but given up milking, nothing to bother with. well. she isn't breaking any records, but is going up in production! the other one who didn't like it alot (ate some but rather with a grudge) has also picked up. sooo, if in doubt, maybe get some new grain. it would be hard to see that the grain i replaced was faulty, the corn had these teensy holes in them. but it wasn't 'bright', it was dull and dusty looking. the new grain was well worth the effort. the other stuff was in a bin for 'free' on our place, but it has cost me dearly! i dried up the doe in my avatar, now i wonder if she'd done better too? we'll see next year. in the meantime, be sure your grain/hay/feedstuffs are of top quality!!