lactation curves

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Oct 17, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i have noticed my does who freshened in may are dropping off production pretty fast. is this simply from heat cycles now? seems the ones who freshened ealier in the year didn't drop off as fast. i am starting to think i need to look harder at my feeding or something? they get oats/corn/boss/pulp, and very good alf. hay free choice. minerals are very similar to onyx.

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Are they FF? Are they bred? How much of a drop?
    Milk production drops each heat cycle and at breeding for me, but they stabilize within a few days and hold at least 50% of peak production up to drying off at 100 days bred. I have Sanaan and Alpine/Togg. FF have dropped more quickly for me, but hold better subsequent years.
    It sounds like your management should be ok. and I wouldn't change anything just yet. You may just need to let them adjust to the breeding season and climate changes. With your other thread of your situation I wonder if stress might also be doing this. In essence you've "moved" them.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also remember that your FF are not through growing, they also may need more protein than you are giving them or simply more grain period. You are not only asking them to milk but to grow and to get pregnant....and no the first 100 days of pregnancy isn't that big of a deal in a milker, but any drain on the calories of young milkers is going to effect them milking.

Do they have to fight older does for this alfalfa? Do you give them enough time on the milkstand to eat? What I do is milk my FF last so she can stay up and eat her grain while I clean up my mess and get ready to go to the house. Vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tell you what I had to pen off my FF so she even could eat hay. She was so scared of the other girls she wouldn't even try.

5. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

I have been wondering about this myself. Since this is my first year milking, I wasn't sure what to expect. My doe is a FF and has been in milk since Feb. Her production increased after her kids were weaned at 12 weeks. She maintained her production up until mid Sept. Then she started dropping off. Right now, she is at about 50% of her peak.
    If I am reading correctly, this is pretty normal? I know each doe will be different, but a fall drop is usual for most does?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep and yours has been milking since Feb so not unusual at all All of mine have dropped off except one. two of which have been milking since last year Mar kids not this year

7. chewie

chewie New Member

no, the ones i am currently milking are a good group to match up, they are all very docile and everyone can have their place to eat. i also let each one finish their grain, either on the stand or let them hop off and finish tethered to the wall, while i finish another chore.

i feel kinda dumb, didn't think about the move as a real 'move', its a nicer barn too! i am happy to hear the levels of drop too, in what i'm reading, we're doing well!