Label question

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by NubianSoaps.com, Nov 20, 2008.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

OK, I heard today about using transparency paper for clear labels, from wallmart. And then using a xylon label maker to make them water proof. OK does anyone know anything about this? Photos would be helpful :) :? Vicki

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Vicki,
    I have a xyron, and yes they make beautiful waterproof labels on any paper that you can print on... I have the very large one that makes whole sheets, but also want a smaller one.. I could send you a label if you would like to see what they do..
    Barbara

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Wow!! I am VERY interested in this too. Barbara, how big is your large one? How much are the refill cartrages? Approx how many sheets do you get from one cartrage?

Christy

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Very cool idea. I'm down to my last couple waterproof sheets for labels.

6. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I have an xyron 900, and it makes a whole sheet of labels.. the cartridges cost about 20.00 but it makes many many sheets of labels and it stickies them on one side, and laminates on the other side, you can buy cartridges that do different things to your paper.. you can use any kind of paper in them that you can print on.. you can make all the labels on one sheet different sizes or different colors,, downfall, you have to cut your labels out.. which takes times.. But I do like the machine and what it does so fair trade for me..
    Barbara

7. Kalne

Kalne New Member

So can you put something smaller than a full sheet through it? I like this idea! My waterproof sheets cost me nearly a dollar a sheet. And I cut them apart so that no biggie. But I'm wondering if I could just run one label at a time through for times like today when I need to mix up ONE bottle of lotion and I don't have any labels made. Yet for days when I'm making a larger quantity it would be nice to do a whole sheet.

8. NubianSoaps.com

Thanks Barb, yes I would love to see one up close and personal. I spent a couple hours on it last night on the dish, some of the cartiridges for the 900 are discontinued. I am going to use the transparancy paper at walmart, it's for overhead projectors and an inkjet can print on it. I emailed some on the dish who used their Xyron and the posts were from 2006 and 2007 and they still use the same one they had and still love it.

With labels at nearly $1 each with setups at $100 and hour, a front label and a back, and you have to pay setups even if it is just a change of label from a 32 ounce long label to a 16 ounce short label....no freakin way.

If anyone sees a turtorial on line for the machine tell me, I am such a visual person. I can't stay on Utube and search it uses up my bandwidth/satalite, I am only alloted so much and then I am back to creeping like dialup. Vicki

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Great Video....This has just been added to my christmas list!

Thanks everyone.

10. NubianSoaps.com

Thank you soo much Sondra!!! Vicki

11. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Vicki,
    A couple of labels are in the mail to you today, anyone else want one while I am at it.. Will need address, you can pm me with it..
    Barbara

12. Katarina

Katarina New Member

So, I use my regular printer and print the labels and then I use the Zyron to make it water proof?

13. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Yes Katie, that is what you do....
    Barbara

14. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Labels are in the mail to those that ask for one...
    Barbara

15. Kalne

Kalne New Member

The roll of stuff is 9" wide right? What if I want to put a sheet through that is only 4 inches wide? Do I just have more excess to trim off the sides?

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

they make smaller ones than the 900

17. Katarina

Katarina New Member

18. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Hobby Lobby has 50% all xylon products today. I am going to be there today so I'm going to check them out. Don't know if they carry this model/size though.

19. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Thanks for the heads up, Kalne. I called our local Hobby Lobby and they have them in stock and my DH is buying me one, woohooo......

Autumn