Lab results on milk samples

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Oct 17, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

This is a follow up to my lopsided udder issue/pulsation? Positive CMT....lab said "no growth" ??

Per vet,last week I did 3 days pirsue...still lopsided and still positive on CMT...doe kidded 4/1 FF.

Thanks,
    Paula

2. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I got mine back and it appeared that she didn't have anything. E-mailed the lab where I sent it and they explained some of it. She did have SPP.... can't remember. Finally took it to vet and he kindly explained it all. I felt crazy, but it was quite confusing to me. Not saying that you don't know what you are reading, but sharing my experience in case it helps you.

Wendy

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Did you specifically ask for subclinical staph?

Had you used anything (antibiotics, infusions) before you took the milk sample?

If yes, and then no, than I would say you are looking at something mechanical. Vicki

4. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I did ask for SubC staph....I will call back in the morning to verify that they did check for that. I pulled the sample before I gave infusions and antibiotics. At this point it just appears as if one side has dryed up and the other is still going strong...Should I just dry up the other side? This is a doe with a gorgeous udder, and not just in my opinion...LOL...so, as a 2yo FF I really would feel terrible if I did not do everything possible to protect it. so, feel free to ask and tell.

Thanks,

Paula

5. NubianSoaps.com

Have you really felt of the udder? May be time to have someone with more experience look at the udder for you. Masses can hide right at the medial etc. Which can explain the dry up on one side, but a milktest would not come back clear if you have mastitis, or have a cyst that effects milk production in a half.

It makes little sense really.

It sounds mechanical, that the side was not getting milked out, and slowly started making less milk each milking.

It's typical of subclinical staph, an udder that slowly starts making 1/2 as much as the other side.

I never would dry up a doe with a problem until it is diagnosed, perhaps a milk sample to another lab after the antibiotic residue wears off? Why I save milk in the freezer before treatment so I have several options with clean milk.

Since you said it as the opposite side on the two does. Is by chance you have a problem with one inflation side? So side by side on milkstands, the problem inflation is the right side of the doe on the left and the left side of the doe on the right? Or do you milk with two setups? Block off one side of your inflation, what is your guage show? Now block off the opposite, same reading? vicki

Vicki

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have a boer doe that did this exact thing this year. She had a perfect udder last year, raised 1 doe. This year she has 1 doe and one side has all but dried up. I think it is because the doe was not nursing the other side and it dried up on its own. What Vicki says would make sense about one side not getting milked out all the way. I forget, did you hand milk or machine milk this doe? Was the milk hard to get out of that side? Was the stream small and thin, indicating a really small orifice or a growth of some kind preventing the milk from coming out like the other side? Sorry if you have already gone over this.

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Oddly, I'm having the same problem on a FF. Milked great (by hand), nice streams, soft udder, etc; etc. The only odd thing in the program was we started with the Milk machine when we got back from the fair. One side started producing less & less, so I'm back to hand milking (which I love doing BTW) and wondering whats going on. :/

8. NubianSoaps.com

You have to be leaving milk in one side of the other after each milking for her to make less in that half, unless it's mastitis. A milking machine unless you are having a mechanical problem and it would be seen in all your does (or at least does who harder to milk) can not cause this. vicki

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

What you are not considering...regardless of what you do this year, that udder is not going to even out until she freshens again. That's curing any sub clinical mastitis and using a dry treatment on the doe at dry off.

I managed to cure a doe that had mastitis....but, I won't EVEN go into details. Let's just say she would probably glow in the dark. But, you can bet she WILL be dry treated when she does dry up this year.

When you clean up a mastitis infection (during milking) the side that had the infection will usually be smaller than the side that didn't.
    Kaye

10. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks so much Kaye.

Paula