LA

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Oct 28, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I was looking on the ADGA website and didn't find the guidelines for LA. Is there a minimum on how many animals per breed to even set up an LA?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

No minimum on animals...there's a $225 stop fee. So, if you do 1 animal, you're still going to be charged the $225...reason young stock and bucks were used here to get the number near the $225.

Download the application and you will see the fees. I wouldn't suggest a private session for the cost...and I don't mind having others here for the session.

If there is another herd that LA's with you..the stop fee is divided between the herds.

Actually, a LOT of knowledge for $225 and you're right it's a lot cheaper than a show! And I get undivided attention. Plus the fact someone tears my animals apart and tells me good and bad, where you only get "1 is placing over two for her......". :rofl
    Kaye

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yes, the first year I appraised I spent $ 80 because I had 2 other herds appraised that day also, the next two years I've gone solo, and I really preferred it. : )

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Mine was solo & I liked it that way. It was very much worth the $225!

5. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Would y'all even recommend doing an LA until you have does in milk? I mean, if all you have is young stock, then wait a year? Or maybe 2, since FF scores aren't as high?

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

For young stock I would try to appraise with someone else - $25.00 to sign up and then $6.50 (?)/doe. That way you can start to see structure through someone with lots of experience's eyes.

Then watch the other folks get appraised who do have does in milk. Otherwise, wait a year, and still go to someone else's appraisal to observe. I seemed to learn more when we were showing or appraising animals than when we were just observing. Keep in mind that this is your "on-going education" so not a bad price - better than most community colleges and you learn a lot more! :)

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Young stock scores are not used in the database, nor are they official.(in that they don't go in the kid's file) Not worth it in my opinion.
    I have some done just to get an idea...then forget about them until they freshen or with bucks are over a year old.
    Kaye

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I am going to be doing LA. I don't know if it will be 2009 or 2010, but I am going to start doing it. How does that work exactly. You say you do a few young ones. I was under the impression if you had LA done you had to appraise everyone on your place.

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Bucks and Youngstock are always optional. You can appraise as many or as few as you choose.

Sara

10. Cotton Eyed Does

O.k. But do you have to appraise every Doe (over a year old?) whether they are in milk or not?

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yes - if they have ever freshened. Exceptions : does that were appraised the year before, does that were appraised at the age of 5 or older thus giving them a permanent score. Also, I think there is also an exception for does that are 8 years of age or older and have never been appraised. I don't know about the last exception though as we appraise every year.

Sara

12. Cotton Eyed Does

One more question on fees. The stop is $225.00. Plus you have to pay for each animal that is actually appraised? Is there a different fee for bucks, does or kids?

I also tried to get the LA book from ADGA and they said they no longer mail it out you have to down load it to look at it on the members site and I have dial up. :-(

13. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You have to pay a minimum of $225. You only pay more than $225 if you have more animals than the $225 allows for. Example - Youngstock are $6.50 each and I think milking does and bucks over one year of age are $8.50 each.

This is all in your ADGA Guidebook. :)

Sara

14. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Would it be acceptable to print out the guide and mail it to Chris? Don't want to violate any rules. :biggrin

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Don't see a problem with it...as it's free to members.

You can also do one breed a year, if you have more than one breed. LOL...since I have so few Saanen & Obies, I do all 3 breeds.
    Kaye

16. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I just downloaded it... It is 17 pages on Adobe, so with dial up, it could take a while, but it's not like it's a 100 page document. Don't know if that helps. Sure is educational... Wish I read it a long time ago!

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Do you think you could do it in a scanable form to put in goatkeeping 101? I am sure we will be asked to take it down eventually, but since other lists and even publications have bootlegged the pictures of it for publication...paid for publications, can't see how it would be a problem up on here for free. Vicki

18. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I am working on the imgaes now. Want me to post them or send the images to you?

19. Cotton Eyed Does

Thanks for the offer Troy. It took quite a while but I got it downloaded and printed. Yea!