La Mancha doe question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Jun 6, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My friend has a La Mancha doe who cannot be left alone with her newborns. Yesterday, she kidded while my friend was tending to other goats and she killed one of her triplets before they could be removed. She paws them to death. My LM doe, Blossom is gentle with her babies, but I've seen some of her other LM does paw their kids as well. Do any other LM breeders have this problem with their does? Kathie

2. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Our goats always want their kids even though they don't get them. This year we let an alpine togg cross raise her lamancha sired buck kid. All of our goats liked him even our mean old alpine. I guess it just depends on the goat. They might sense that their is something wrong with the kids or they just don't know what they are.
    Silvia

3. That is with any breed. The does are just trying to get them to get up.

Now if you want to see something just plain wrong. Some ewes will lick the butts of the lambs. But they dont stop there, some will eat the tail off of the little thing.

Ken in MO

4. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Ya thats just not right...I would be pretty freaked out over something like that :eek

5. Nancy

Nancy New Member

At one of the shows that i went to last year there was a nubian with more than half her ear gone. The owners said that her dam bit the ear off when she was born.

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We had one doe do this and kill her first kid but the next yr she was fine and every year after that. I guess she just freaked or something.

7. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Well some does could be confused and not know what the kids are. We had one before freak out just by seeing the kids. She didn't know what it was and tried to bite them.
    Silvia