Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Sweet Tea Sugar" as i call it is whatever amount of sugar your using with equal parts water.
You boil it and make a Sryup with it. If you've ever heard of southern sweet tea, that's what it is.

It takes the bite out of regular tea, makes it smooth and well blended.
Denise

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
you have to have the sugar for it to ferment properly and as was explained to me early sugar doens't effect diabetics or anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wanted to try this as it lends just a tad bit different taste, but i think it might still work.
But thanks for the info. My mom has diabetes so i was wondering if she could drink it.
Denise

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok girls, my next batch of tea is ready to go. Things are REALLY BIG in there!! :/ Not sure how many beggers are in there, but man oh man, it's big. It may be time to take someone off momma! :biggrin
Karen

·
Registered
165 Posts
ok poured up batch#2. It's not so good . It taste like a for real wine gone bad. I did add a half cup of sugar thinking it might help the taste a bit. NOPE! It must have seriously ferminted into wine. It kinda burns going down, smells stronger. ee gads.
What do I do? Cool it in hopes of it calming down? or? dump and start over with ONLY 1 cup of sugar?
:help
Karen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
It will not change that much after it is cooled. I say if you don't like it, try again. As for me, I'll drink it no matter what :crazy

·
Registered
298 Posts
:sniffle I think my Kombucha mushroom must have been too old. It's been since around Christmas and the second mushroom still hasn't formed and now it's getting the white spots (bacteria) on top. Boo hoo! I've been waiting so long!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Susie, I laid my shroom to rest the other day. It got weird and funky on me :really :/
So, I guess I just won't do the tea thingy, I will wait to see if the kefir is better.
Karen

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sondra said:
you have to have the sugar for it to ferment properly and as was explained to me early sugar doens't effect diabetics or anything.
On another forum we were discussing this. It seems like homemade batches can vary greatly in the amounts of remaining sugar. Still looking for a reliable way to test. You have to ferment at room temp for 14 days then store for close to a month to get close to the low levels of sugar found in some storebought brands.
With a diabetic I would try very cautiously, BUT I would try!!! We love our kombucha. I like mine on a 10 day jar ferment and then about another 3-4 days bottled. Just fizzy by then with a nice tang, but doesn't burn... Dh will drink it when it is much much stronger. My boys think it is the same thing as pop (or soda, pepsi whatever you call it)

·
Registered
165 Posts
boy this time on day 7 I didn't have pop. I had serious wine! :really and I mean wow what a burn, and nasty! as all get out. :yuck I don't know what I did, other than, I used white sugar this time and 1/2 cup more than I did the first time. :eek:ops Just a cup I think was the plan.. but NO I had to think it might be just a bit sweeter IF I put just a little more in it!?? :biggrin can you say NOT!!! :groan
so the shroom got laid to rest. Gosh rest his soul..
Karen

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
u guys are so funny I think the stuff is just too sweet but will drink it but I don't use sugar in tea or coffee or even coke always diet so this is just too sweet. But Karen why didn't you just throw that out and start over with your scoby??

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mine died and YES! I want another! :biggrin I am so bummed as I waited and waited and THEN :sniffle realized it was growing but not a new scoby...it was growing fuzz!

I'll PM you for another! Thank you!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
OK am scared to go look, forgot all abt my Komacha making so it is still sitting there probably a month. Think my scoby will be ok??

81 - 100 of 110 Posts