Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I made some using Constant Comet with orange and spices and boy is this stuff good. Tastes kinda like apple cider, even hubby likes it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Houston I think we have a problem! The top of my tea looks like it's trying to mold. I made this the day after Christmas. What is going wrong? Smells alot like vinegar. I know it's grow a scoby or looks to have.
K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Naw.. It always looks like that early on. Wait until it is a week old. If it has mold you will see perfectly round fuzzy greenish gray mold. If you want to post a pic I'll take a look. But if it made a baby it is probably fine. I had one mold once, it didn't make a baby.

Christy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well on a week are we talking a full 7 days/ or maybe 5?? I hope I didn't screw up this shroom. It stayed in the box a day before it got in the fridge. but it looks to be getting bigger in there and I am sure I see a mushroom off the side of it.
Karen

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
thought it was 10 days to sit undisturbed??
and I read somewhere we shouldn't keep the scoby in the refrig when not really working. So I worried that I ruined mine by keeping it in the frig 2 wks before I even started.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
7-12 days is common. I read that you can store the scobies is finished tea in the refrigerator until you need them. They call it a scoby hotel :lol

Christy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well today my tea looks like it has a heavy grayish film on top of it. Is this normal? and things look big in there...
:sigh
karen

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok people. We have Kombucha Tea! It made a thick film on top and scooby grew. Now I strained the tea down to the scooby and some extra tea starter. Now do I leave all that scooby and film intact for the next batch? I don't want to screw him up now.. I took a drink of it before I put the finished tea in the fridge and It wasn't too bad.. so I hope that I will gather a taste for this ferminted tea.. It was kinda fizzy too! cool beans. Now If I won't get sick!! :biggrin
So if you can tell me the next step in my venture I will be ready to pour scooby into his next host!
Just wasn't sure if that whole thing goes into the next brew.
Karen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Glad it is working out for you :lol

Next steps;
Brew strong tea
add 1 cup sugar, stir
cool to room temp
pour into clean jar
add starter tea and scoby (I leave the baby with the mama until it gets too thick or I need to share)
Cover with a clean cloth, paper towel or coffee filter
brew 7-12 days

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh ok, I thought I saw a shroom grow off the side, but.. I could be wrong, so the thick film is a baby? Well it's all attached, so.. I will slide the whole thing into the new batch! cool! Thanks Christy! :biggrin
Karen

·
Registered
165 Posts
Denise needs a shroom!! Hee hee If I had an extra I would send you one Denise. It sure was good to hear from you today, You made my day!
Denise needs a future pick me up for all her 2008 plans! WOW what a busy bee she will be! :crazy
Karen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Come pick one up anytime Denise! Or, if you can't make it to town, I'll mail it to you just send me your address.
Soon you will be as crazy as the rest of us :crazy

Christy

61 - 80 of 110 Posts