Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: Kombucha - Sondra, Diane, Anyone...

Christy, mine came in the mail today! It scares me though :help2

It looks somewhat like a placenta or a squid. DH says it looks like a cow tongue.

We can't wait to try it :/

Just kidding, I am sure I will enjoy it as much as I do my kefir...will have your postage in the mail asap.

· Registered
1,278 Posts

Christy, I haven't forgotten your postage, I guess my asap is different than other people's asap. At least I didn't say I would send it ASAP...which, as everyone knows, is much faster.

Anyway, mine has fermented now in a gallon jar (with TWO cups of sugar, for 9 days, so I better strain it...it is probably tea moonshine by now :crazy

· Registered
1,278 Posts

ok, I started mine the Monday after Thanksgiving using a gallon jar, 8 tea bags and 2 cups sugar. So 10 days (?). At first I was worried it was contaminated with mold but that never really materialized. We have well water, shallow, with organic material in it...plant material, roots and such. So it is not sterile. But the "scoby" is clean but weird looking. it smells vinergary but good. I strained it today and put the fermented kombucha in another gallon jar. I am starting anew batch and have the first in the fridge.

What don't kill me makes me stronger so after the kefir and this stuff, I will be super-woman!

Oh, the reason for the extra sugar is because when iImake wine, extra sugar increases alcohol content ;)

· Registered
1,278 Posts

Thanks Christy :D

I want to drink the stuff now but will wait til it is chilled just to make my first time perfect.

It smells good.

I am addicted to kefir, straight and strong, i guzzle it plain. Hooked. Kombucha may be a new best friend too ;)

· Registered
1,278 Posts

WOO! HOO! I can't wait :biggrin

...so do you think Sondra and Whim will have left anyone else any wine? Maybe we all should make our own just in case.

(And I don't even know how the whole wine-joke with those two got started, i'll just jump in and add fuel to the fire) :rofl

· Registered
1,278 Posts

Well, now I KNOW I need to make my own stash of wine...good thing I froze all those wild grapes this summer! And MY wine is more like wine moonshine...it's the extra sugar and yeast :biggrin You have to drink it in shots!

· Registered
1,278 Posts

I used 8 tea bags and 2 cups sugar in a glass gallon jar. Let it set out for 10 days then strained into another jar and restarted another batch with the mushroom thingy.

It tasted good. I drank about 2 cups plus but I have a rock gut, didn't bother me, so much my first time. I bottled what I didn't drink into two wine bottles and put into the fridge to age. Guess that will be ok???

This new batch has 7 tea bags and 1 1/2 cup sugar.

· Registered
1,278 Posts

My second batch is done today. We drank some of the first batch and bottled some. Will bottle some of the second batch too. Sure is a good thing I have all these empty wine bottles laying around.

· Registered
1,278 Posts

I plan on taking a few bottles to Houston for Christmas. Last year I took some homemade wine. This year I will take some mysterious and exotic kombucha :lol My grapes are still in the freezer from this year, I never made 2007 wine...I'll pretend I drank it all myself, the family will never know the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts