Kombucha Anyone...

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by cmharris6002, Nov 11, 2007.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I really like this stuff! I had trouble getting it going though. My advice it to start it on Black Tea, You can switch to green tea later if you want. Also, I read not to use Earl Grey Tea.

Here is what is working well for me,

Make up a gallon of strong black tea
    Put a cup of sugar in a gallon glass jar
    Add the hot tea -not too hot or the jar will break... Diane ;)
    Don't fill the jar to the top, stop before the jar starts to narrow
    Let the tea cool to room temp
    Add the Kombucha and the starter tea it comes with (Always add some finished tea to the new batch)
    Let it sit at room temp for a week
    Strain and drink
    YUM!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

http://www.kombu.de/benefits.htm

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Re: Kombucha - Sondra, Diane, Anyone...

Yes, still interested :biggrin....and I'll be careful with the jar :lol

3. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Hey! We do Kombucha tea, too! But we do ours a little different! Those "mushrooms" sell for $19 each! I didn't buy mine though and you end up with a new one each time! Pretty soon you end up with too many. Plenty to share! ;) I was wondering if anyone on this list (because of Kefir) used Kombucha tea, too. So, cool! :cool

We use 3 quarts water, 4 organic black tea bags and 1 cup sugar.Let cool. I bought a large gallon size glass jar from WalMart (like a glass canister) because it has a nice wide opening. Add your "mushroom" and 1/2 cup of your Kombucha. Let it set (covered with a cloth) for a week or until the new "baby" mushroom forms. I keep mine on top of the refrigerator. Remove both mushrooms to a clean jar and add some tea to keep them wet. Lid the jar and refrigerate. Cover and leave your tea to rest another week (on the refrigerator). It may even grow another mushroom in this time. I think this is called "mellowing". We then store our tea in the same 1/2 gallon mason jars that we put our milk in. Refrigerate. We like to strain our Kombucha to get the "boogers" out. We started with 1/2 cup 30 minutes before meals. I add mine to a large glass of water. It's a lot like ACV to me.

4. Re: Kombucha - Sondra, Diane, Anyone...

Tried these years ago :yuck
    :lol

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok can it sit out longer than a weeK?? wondering as found my jar. But am leaving town next Monday and will be gone till the 27th.

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Yes, 12 days is common. I like mine at a week since it is still a little sweet like cider and not strong like apple cider vinegar...

Christy

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Christy, mine came in the mail today! It scares me though :help2

It looks somewhat like a placenta or a squid. DH says it looks like a cow tongue.

We can't wait to try it :/

Just kidding, I am sure I will enjoy it as much as I do my kefir...will have your postage in the mail asap.

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

No kidding! I was a little freaked out when I first saw it too :lol I think you'll like it though. There is another wat to brew to get wine :crazy

Christy

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK am starting mine now and I want that wine recipe Ha! need to make it for Whim

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I can share also if anyone needs a scoby.

Patty

11. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

OK, so what the heck is Kombucha? It don't sound to appealing.
    What is it used for? Is it a starter for something else?
    This is what I envision big jar of something that looks like swamp water with rotton egg whites on the bottom :laughcry. Tell me it ain't so. :groan

12. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

best thing to do is google it and it will tell you more than you ever wanted to know !

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl :rofl :rofl
    :really I just couldn't let this one go by without googling it.....I've made that *stuff* before, but I threw it out when I found a quart jar of tea with an undetermined age! I really think somewhere in the 3 mo. range...being as it was during kidding season and refrigerator also had several other unknown substances in it!
    You guys have fun....but I'm not EVEN :eek going there!
    Kaye

14. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

But its actually good. darn heath food store sells it for 4-5 dollars for 16 oz bottle.

I've made some of those oops before but have not been brave enough to try them !

Patty

15. KUrby

KUrby New Member

I am not sure this stuff sounds weird...and I sense a bad flavor :/ :rofl

But I am going to get brave one day and try this AFTER I read why I should... :blush2
    k

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

actually my starter tasted just like sweet tea so except for the fact I don't sweaten tea I think it will be just great.

17. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Christy, I haven't forgotten your postage, I guess my asap is different than other people's asap. At least I didn't say I would send it ASAP...which, as everyone knows, is much faster.

Anyway, mine has fermented now in a gallon jar (with TWO cups of sugar, for 9 days, so I better strain it...it is probably tea moonshine by now :crazy

18. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

ok, I started mine the Monday after Thanksgiving using a gallon jar, 8 tea bags and 2 cups sugar. So 10 days (?). At first I was worried it was contaminated with mold but that never really materialized. We have well water, shallow, with organic material in it...plant material, roots and such. So it is not sterile. But the "scoby" is clean but weird looking. it smells vinergary but good. I strained it today and put the fermented kombucha in another gallon jar. I am starting anew batch and have the first in the fridge.

What don't kill me makes me stronger so after the kefir and this stuff, I will be super-woman!

Oh, the reason for the extra sugar is because when iImake wine, extra sugar increases alcohol content ;)

19. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I hope you like it! I am sooo addicted. Don't worry, I know all about asap vs ASAP :lol
    Congratulations, I hear you won the swap box :D

Christy

20. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Thanks Christy :D

I want to drink the stuff now but will wait til it is chilled just to make my first time perfect.

It smells good.

I am addicted to kefir, straight and strong, i guzzle it plain. Hooked. Kombucha may be a new best friend too ;)