Kink in doe's neck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Pamela, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Pamela

Pamela New Member

I have a yearling doe thats was born with a kink in her neck. The kink is just behind her head and arches up (like a rainbow). When she was first born I would rub her neck and lift her head up to work out the kink. It did disappear when she was a few weeks old. I just figured it was because she was folded funny inside Mama.

Now she is a yearling and the same kink is back. It's about 7 inches long total. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

This same doe had a few months of being weak in her hind end starting at about 3 - 4 months old. She started out by dragging a hind foot and progressed to falling over if bumped hard or if I had to catch her her to give her a shot she would fall because her hind legs would fold under her. I gave her BoSe, Thiamen, vit B12. She did pull though that and can run and seems strong.

I don't know if the two are connected or not. Poor thing can't lift her head up passed her shoulders. Again any thoughts will be appreciated.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It sounds to me like she experienced some neurological damage from birth trauma with the neck thing. I don't know if the back leg problem is related. That may have been goat polio if it responded to the B1. You might want to take her to your vet for testing and maybe Xrays. Kathie

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Well here is a thought...a animal chiropractor...helped my horse when her back was hurting her...just a thought...