kids won't *eat* ??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jul 8, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK I sold 2 early April bottle kids to a local... at 2 weeks old.

Sent her home with syringes of wormer and a basic instruction sheet...

Her kids she says are bigger than mine the same age... (I am about to see)... but they are *boney*...

they take their bottles, eat fresh browse, will eat "corn stalks & cucumbers", but will NOT touch feed of any kind... she even bought some sweet feed to try to tempt them.

I just can't figure this out at ALL!

Any thoughts???

She is on her way over with them... wants a hoof trimming lesson....

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Well, we know something aint right :nooo

You will naturally assess them when you see them...either they are spoiled or sick. Wonder how many cucumbers they are eating. If they refuse sweetfeed, something is up. :/

Bottle-fed babies don't eat as soon as dam-raised, perhaps they are full of milk...another thought.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

they look nice... but definitely boney! dd is showing how to trim hooves...

very spoiled...
    and boy is 10lbs under the weight of mine... girl 20lbs but very very tall & leggy both of them...

hips very pronounced...

and spine in the neck very visible....

but nice coats!
    happy goats

she says they eat constantly.... browse trees etc...

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

they really looked good... just skinnier than I'd expect and underweight....

they are brushed and lovable....

I sent her home with all my goat books, old hoof trimmers (dd likes the green ones better), hoof trimming books, and the corid dose chart....

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Goats on browse are going to be bony compared to kids getting alot of grain and milk, they of course would carry more flesh. Long and tall and thin is not a bad thing. Scruffy coated, large bellied is the problem you look for in goats. Vicki

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

no they weren't...

I told her I never heard of a goat refusing all grain and alfalfa pellets, but that her babies looked healthy though thin... and definitely spoiled :lol

oh eyelids were nice & pink too...

they are definitely loved goats...

7. Feral Nature

This years crop of kids here are dam and browse raised, they are longer and leaner than last year's very fat, stockier-looking bottle-kids. I could not raise this year's kids by the perfect routine as last years bottle babies but I am happy that they are playful and slick.

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

the boy is definitely out of my long lean group....

9. Feral Nature

I have 2 wethers that look like heck. They are perky little things though.

They are 2 of a set of triplets, the other is a more pampered doeling who still nurses. They have never had any wormer or meds as they will be eaten. They are always short changed on feed too. I toss them out of the pen and out to the browse after they have a few bites of feed. They think they have a great life really. They have full horns and no ears and I call them cabrito and cabrito.

They are a bit boney looking but they are healthy. Like boney deer.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep, with so much blonde with white trim here from GE, most of my girls seem to look alot like deer. All legs and long bodied, just like the deer that I had to stop for on the highway this morning. Vicki

11. coso

coso Guest

Luckily with Nubian and LaManchas ears, no one should mistake them for deer during season. :lol

12. Feral Nature

No so sure about that...hunters shoot from great distances at deer in the brush...a frosty brown LaMancha or Nubian looks like a deer to me even....but i am half blind, I forgot.