Kids and copper and worming - need to make sure i have this right....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Jul 10, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, so i got my copper and am ready to go - i have everybody weigth taped and doses figured out. I have two mature does, and then 6 kids - my concern is for the kids - the youngest two were born 4/15/08 and then one was born 4/3/08, 3/30/08 and 3/27/08, my mature does show a huge deffiency, kids not so much - yet. Can i safely give it to them - or should i even ?

Also, worming, i am now out of valbazen - can i worm my kids with ivermectin 1% at the ages they are ? If not now, when will the ivermectin be safe for them ?

Oh, and i just started their corid - is it safe to do these other things now too ?

Thanks !

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I usually give my kids their first copper boluse when they are 4-5 mo. Even though they have a good mineral out 24/7 I start seeing copper issues after I wean them.
    The other questions...Vicki needs to answer.
    Kaye

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Kaye - i'll wait another month or two for them to get their copper then and just give it to my two mature does, and older doeling that was born 2/22/08. And i'll wait to hear from Vicki on the other questions :+)

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also am going to copper bolus my kids as I wean them. Mine are moving to milk twice a day next weekend which will give me 2 more gallons to sell, but they are now eating their grain and alfalfa pellets really well. I am feeding them my last bale of alfalfa, a flake a day they are going to miss that, but $12.95 for a 50 pound bale....crazy.

Does Ivermectin kill the worms you are worming your kids for? Here they do not, my kids are now on cydectin, will stay on it every 21 days until weaned, then I start fecal sampling. I have been seeing HC on fecal, my microscope goes back to college in August, I have used it more this kidding season than I have ever with the change of Corid.

Now. I do not worm and corid and bolus all at the same time with kids. I think it's simply way to much stuff orally. I will worm one morning about 2 hours after lambaring. Then the next day is their first day of Corid in the milk, I use it full strenth days 2, through 5. Then I will wean and then bolus in another weekend.

My kids are mid March and mid april. Vicki

5. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Vicki - that answers all my questions :+) I will do the things seperatly, it did seem like a bit much for kids. Yes the ivermectin still takes care of the worms we have here - i just wanted to know if it was safe to use on them at this age. Thanks so much ladies - you are such a great source of information and really help :+)