Kidding question - Update

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Dec 29, 2007.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Magic kidded 12/27, twins, went in to check if she was all done & didn't feel anything. She passed her placenta about an hour later, but has been pushing, squatting & standing on straw bales with her forefeet & grinding her teeth.. Could it be that I missed one? would she have passed her placenta & still had one more? she's been eating, though not much unless it's cookies. :D goatie cookies, that is, not chocolate chip! :D
    Anyway, I've not had a doe strain quite like this postpartum. Should I give her some Banamine?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Kidding question

Go in and see. A doe can have one, two or three kids in one horn, pass a placenta and have one, two or three more in the other horn and pass a placenta. She can also be pushing because she has ripped her cervic...a small piece will be loose and push inside her cervic and she will push and push to get it out...until it heals, or gets stitched.

Go in and see what is going on, check both horns....then yes banamine if it is a ripped cervic so she will not exhaust herself straining. Vicki

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I could still go in now? How would I be able to tell if her cervic is torn?
    :sigh

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't think so Stacy but I might be wrong
    I would probably give the banamin if she is grinding teeth and some calcium maybe Vicki or Kaye will come back on and tell you more.

5. NubianSoaps.com

Sorry didn't even note the date.

Is her discharge normal? Do you or anyone never you AI so you can see the cervic to see if you are dealing with a tear? Do you have some lutelyse 2cc IM to give her to open her back up and see what is going on? Use her being open again to flush her uterus with tetracylcine.

Is she sqatting and straining only after you milk her? What her temp? Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Stacy I have lute if you need it.

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well, I went out to check on her and she had gone out to pasture with the rest of the herd for a while and was seen at times, sitting like a dog. I thought the sunshine would do her some good so I waited until they came back to the barn to "check her out". I took her temp, 102.9 what little that was hanging out is no longer there and there is no unusually foul odor. She seems tight and was very uncomfortable with me trying to feel, which felt like... ?? Nothing really out of the ordinary, but what the heck do I know. :sigh She is pooping normal and no, does not strain only after milking. I can get lute from my vet, but didn't get to the post in time to read & go & get it.
    She's not straining constantly, but is clearly uncomfortable. Good lord I can't describe it well. :blush The person down the road that has helped me with goat stuff before was of course, not home. I gave the doe 1 1/2 cc Banamine SQ. and will be going to milk her in about 1/2 an hour.
    I'll also be keeping an eye on this post in case of any new bright ideas.. (I wish I lived close to Vicki ;)

8. NubianSoaps.com

Shoot Stacy I wish I lived next to Kaye ;) Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

is she eating??

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yes, she's eating, though not a lot. She would eat the whole bucket of what I call 'cookies'. they are ApplezN'Oats horse treats and the goats think they're wonderful.
    I made up a warm water compress for her with Tea Tree, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint & Fennel oils & a dash of Dawn dishwashing liquid. There is nothing hanging out & nothing seems out of place, though I still find her standing, front feet only, on the straw bales in the barn, and on occasion, grunting like she's straining. :/
    Her Temp was still 102.9 this am, and right now she is out in the pasture with the rest.
    Heck, I just wish I was close enough to someone who could look at my goats & tell me what was wrong.. but don't we all. :sigh

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If she were mine Stacy she would get BComplex /BoSe/ and CMPK

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Update... I say your post last night, Sondra, just didn't get a chance to reply till now.
    I gave her 2cc B-Complex SQ & 1 1/2 cc Bo-Se SQ, I didn't have CMPK but I did have a bottle of "Goats Prefer" Calcium drench & went to give her the recommended 30ml drenched.. before I could get even 10 ml in her she gagged, wretched, almost pulled the milkstand over, and started crying and drooling.. I was thinking "what the H$&&!" I finally got her untied and out of the barn and then squirted a bit of the stuff in my hand to taste in and OMG it set my mouth on fire!! I ran back to the house to rinse and made a warm Aloe/water drench to rinse the doe's mouth out.. She now looks at me like "oh no! here she comes!" :nooo
    Needless to say she wouldn't eat after that, not even a cookie.
    This morning, I found her eating hay. She only nibbled her grain and would only eat one cookie. When she went back out, she went back to the hay feeder, then made that grunting/straining/pushing noise and popped out a poop! It was not pellets, but neither was it diarrhea. I found more of the same in the barn in a heap. Do you think that after all this time she's only been trying to poop!??
    DH thinks I need to give her a dose of Mineral oil.. :/

13. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Stacy,
    I have a friend who killed her best yearling this year with the Goats Prefer Calcium!
    She aspirated it into her lungs, fighting trying to keep from taking it. I hate oral Calcium gels - they are caustic and will make your goats not want to eat because of the burning that causes. I have used Citrical Calcium for humans, it dissolved well in water, when I was in a pinch and didn't have CMPK or MFO.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

could be but if she is pooping now then maybe she is getting it out ok as for that calcium I do know that the cmpk gel stuff burns like crazy and people mix it with snow cone syrup deluting it down before giving.

I also have gotten a liquid peoples calcium at the health food store and given it. and it was tasty yum stuff also in goat 101 is sue Reiths recipe for homemade cmpk

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I just got off the phone with the vet on staff @ VetsPlus, the manufacturer of the "Goats Prefer" calcium drench.. He said that the Calcium Chloride is an irritant and the irritating factor is designed to cause the drench to "bypass the rumen to be quickly absorbed" I asked him if he's tasted it and he said no.. I told him they needed to adjust their label because if given a choice, my goats sure wouldn't "prefer" it!
    I'm on my way back to the store to return it..

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

made as an irritant now that is real nice.

17. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

You know, it's pitiful that there are so many "new" products coming out for goats, that are pretty much useless!!! Since the Boer goat industry has come to the forefront, there has been lots of interest in making "goat" products, but they turn out to be mostly hype.

18. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I feel so horrible!! Like a bad mom.. :down She's again standing on the straw, I offered her a cookie, but she just rolled it around in her mouth then let it fall. I can only imagine how raw her throat feels.. I let some poor guy at TSS know how I felt about them selling such a product without a warning label, though it doesn't make anyone feel any better.
    I'm going to go now to make her a cup of warm tea...

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

do you have camomile tea that would sooth

20. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yes, I have camomile, actually a mix I got somewhere called "Sleep". I mixed a bit of that, some slippery elm bark, alfalfa pellets, a dash of mixed herbs I keep in the fridge, some Mullein and a small spoon of honey. She sucked it out of the gun :D I'll give her more when I go to milk.
    BTW.. thanks for the support.