kidding necessities

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Dec 17, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Looks like I'll get to spend a little more for Christmas than I anticipated, so I thought I'd get kidding supplies (among other goat goodies) a little sooner...

I've been looking at the kits from Hoegger and Caprine Supply... I'm wondering what y'all order. For instance, I don't need the propylene glycol from CS b/c I already have nutridrench. And once I've ordered one kit, I'm sure I won't need umpteen bazillion kid pullers but will still need to replenish the supply of cord clamps.

What have y'all found to be the basic necessities and how do I replenish just those rather than buying a bunch of other stuff I don't need? Also, who do you order from?

Thanks!

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I don't order kits. I look at my supplies and make a list of what I need. Things I want to have on hand include J Jelly, Pritchard and other pop bottle nipples, iodine, clean towels, tubing supplies, BoSe, oxytocin, Norcalciphos and Boimycin. I also buy something called Nursemate ASAP which encourages newborns to eat. I get my stuff from a variety of places including my local feed store, my vet, Caprine Supply and Hoeggers. Kathie

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You don't need cord clamps or nutra drench :) Or vet RX or.....there is just soo much fluff out there!

Get your nipples you are going to use, and your bucket feeder nipples, tube brush for cleaning etc.

Get some CMPK injectable and a gallon of propolyn glycol from your vet, mine is cheaper at the vet than even jefferspet.com There isn't 3 things in Hoegger or Caprine Supply that are cheaper than jefferspet.com and if you are a catalog shopper call 1800jeffers and ask for their livestock, pet and equine catalogs.

I have never used a kid puller. If you are going to have lots of kids you need identification for them....tattoo but having id bands. I love the ID leg bands for cattle, buy the yellow, then cut them in half lengthwise and write on them with a sharpy permanent marker, I use the dam's name and date of birth. Get your cocci meds and Valbazen for your kids wormer. Disbudder, send in money to ADGA so registering your kids is paid for, join ADGA for the year, get a subscription to unitedcaprinenews.com, join INBA. Sign up for appraisal (LA). Vicki

4. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Vicki-

I studied the forum for 45 minutes reading about propolyn glycol, but I could not understand what it is really used for. Why would I need to include this as a part of my kidding supplies? And what is INBA?

Thanks

5. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Daniel,
    Propylene glycol is used for ketosis. You won't have to worry about INBA because you have LaManchas. That is for Nubian breeders.
    Les

6. NubianSoaps.com

To get the kids you have to freshen the doe. Without good meds on hand to deal with kidding problems you won't have any kids to worry about :) Everyone should read Sue Rieths articles and there are lots of others in goatkeeping 101. Refresh yourself with hypcalcemia/ketosis and how to know the difference because there is very little ketosis in caprines. An 8 ounce bottle of nutra drench that is all propolyn glycol with a teaspoon of minerals thrown in, costs about what a gallon of PG costs you....well maybe a little more :) Put it in a cool dry place and it will last forever. Vicki

7. stoneyheightsfarm

Okay, but what about dipping cords & hooves? You use iodine? Where is the best place to get that? And CMPK? Best place to get that?

I don't need cord clamps? My only birth experience is with humans, and I've always seen the cord clamped twice and the cut made between clamps. What do I do with a goat?

Looks like I'll need a lot less "fluff" than I thought, which is good news! :) Also looks like I need to read through 101 again. :)

8. NubianSoaps.com

I really don't recall ever having to cut a cord, they come precut :) Course umbilicals on goats are not like on humans. The cords rip as the kids are born. Now I have had to tie with dental floss a few cordsthat continued to bleed, and have cut some x-long ones shorter, but no clamps.

You can't purchase the really good 7% iodine we used to be able to get, I have enough left for this year only....not sure what others are using instead. I spray navels several times over the next few hours to really dry (in our damp weather) the cords, and the feet to dry them up quickly. Vicki

9. stoneyheightsfarm

I just read about deliveries in goat wisdom from a link in 101. :) Now why would I think cords would have to be cut in an animal? What would they do if we weren't there?!

In my human birthing kits, I had a povidone iodine solution or a betadine solution for pereneal wash. Wonder if something like this (undiluted) would be good for the navels & feet?

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I agree a lot of the kits are fluff. KY Jelly in case you need to go into the doe to turn kids is a necessity. You can use Triodine to dip naval cords. http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=5027f58a-8eab-4a93-9e7b-b950e1316d53 , I've also used dental floss to tie off a fat leaky naval cord after dipping it. A nice pair of scissors is handy in your kit. And some gloves for when you dip your naval cords so your hands don't turn orange. I also give 1/4 cc Bo-Se injection to the babies when they are born. I have Prop. Glyc. (Vet) and CMPK (You can get a bottle of CMPK from the vet, runs about $9.00) in my kit and some oxytocin (Get the Vet to let you have a few ccs in case you need some) in case there is a question of a retained placenta, etc. You'll also need to get a tube feeder. A syringe feeder with a plastic tube attached to it so you can tube feed the baby if you need to. You can get these from Jeffers or most any catalog. Clean towels, warm coat and some patience. Have fun. That is my favorite time of the year.

11. stoneyheightsfarm

Oxytocin... since I'm also pregnant, is this something I should get my husband to learn to do just in case? I don't want to stick myself (is this absorbable thru skin like lutylase if I just got some on me?) and send myself into an early labor...

I don't know how to tube feed. Can anyone point me in a good direction to study up on this, or might an emergency vet visit be in order if that becomes a necessity?

12. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I would not mess with the oxytocin while you are pregnant. So get your hubby to learn to give this just in case. I am not sure if it is absorbed through the skin or not but could do harm if you stuck yourself. So, just don't take the risk.

There is a site that shows you how to tube. Of course I can't find it right now. Hopefully someone else will post it.
    Theresa

13. NubianSoaps.com

Or you might want to make a vet visit, take a goat with you, have her teach you how to give shots correctly, how to tube, if you can do a full size doe you can do a kid. It's a great way to start a vet client relationship, rather than waiting until an animal AND YOU are in distress. Vicki

14. stoneyheightsfarm

I haven't had problems with shots as long as I don't try sticking the needle through metal first. :) I just know that in time of stress, my error potential is higher. :) That's a good idea for me to ask the vet to teach me how to tube. I already have a good relationship with her--all those re-disbuddings and fecals! :)

Thanks everyone for all the help with what I'll need! Sounds like for an easy birth, all I really need to go out and get will be iodine of some sort since I have everything else (well, except INBA membership, renew ADGA membership, and unitedcaprinenews...). But for something more difficult, you've given me a great wealth of information of what to have on hand just in case!

15. Theresa

Theresa New Member

And if you put all your kidding stuff into a bucket with a lid then it is easy to grab and you have a chair to sit on while you wait!
    Theresa

16. NubianSoaps.com

Theresa don't forget a cushion for your lid...son actually made these in scouts one year, was supposed to be for camping. Alas my butt has grown beyond sitting comfortably on a 5 gallon bucket lid :) Vicki

17. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

A nice chintz chaise lounge would look really good in your barn, Vicki! :biggrin

Tom

18. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I have never got any of the kits. I have wanted to in the past, but shipping & what is in them put me off. Just some things I already have. I keep an 8Qt bucket by the door during kidding season in it contains,
    *Paper towels (lots of them)
    *Cheap bath towels,
    *Floss (to tie off a bleeding cord)
    * Flash light
    * Gloves (I don't like using them, but if I touch the barn floor or bedding I am not going in dirty.)
    *Nose & mouth bulb
    * KY jelly

In the house waiting is my kid box it has in it,
    *Paper towels
    *Towels
    *Heating pad & heat lamp

Other things I have are nipples and lots of stored colostrum & milk. I know some don't like using cows colostrum, but I take out a 2L bottle when a doe looks to be going into labor or the day before her due date. That way I have milk ASAP if it is a large litter or the doe doesn't have alot. I have treatment for MF & PT/Ketiosis. Kid coats & the normal after birth stuff that makes the kids stop growing some parts of them. :wink:

19. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I forgot to add that I keep the kid's shots in with my kid box is Vitamin E & Selenium, and Vitamin A & D.