Kidding emergency ended well because....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Linda Carney, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

I followed proceedures that I have learned on the forum.

I have several Nubians and a La Mancha, two Nubians and the La Mancha were due to kid the same time. Yesterday the Nubians kidded out within an hour of one another, two bucks and two does. Our La Mancha is such a snob that we joked that she would hold out on general principle! I have had several appointments today, when I swung home at noon my 17 year old said she thought the La Mancha's tail head was ripe and that she was sitting around waiting on her. We agreed that she knew what to do, the goat was an experienced mother and also I would be close enough to get back home if someone called to let me know. I got back a few hours later and checked on her. I felt like she was in labor, but she did not have any mucous hanging like other births that I had seen. I spent the evening in the barn watching her pace, breath shallow, and paw the ground. I was getting chillier and after 9pm, I hadn't eaten and thought I would run into the house for a few minutes ,but felt like I should get a glove out and check what was going on. I was surprised to find her cervix totally open. On closer inspection I found two kids piled up on each other -- couldn't tell which head went to which legs, felt teeth upside down. After several unsuccessful tries still not understanding what was going on entirely I called for help. While help was on the way I still tried to sort things out, brought legs down, the right head (I thought), big push and almost exasperation from our 5 year old doe. Finally after many prayers one did deliver and then the next came....before my neighbor made it over to help. Two not so tiny La Mancha Nubian crosses --both doelings and both still breathing, with no apparent damage!

I shudder to think what the outcome would have been if I had not gone in to survey the situation. However I should have checked at lunch, no reason to have left her to suffer so long unless the cervix was still dilating.

Last year I was afraid of the unknown and cringed at the thought of doing my own pelvic exams -- afraid I might hurt the doe. Paranoid at my first kidding about abnormal presentation everything went perfect. The second kidding last year I had Vicki on the phone (she lives down the road from me) walking me though repositioning the forelegs so the hooves would present and not the knees. Amazing how you can respond in the middle of an emergency!

I appreciate the posts that have dealt with rearranging kids and double checking that all kids were delivered. It would be great if somehow pregnant does had a transparent window on their belly so that we could see what was happening -- since they don't the only way to tell is by feeling. Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Linda

2. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Awesome post!

Congratulations on your new doelings and such a great job delivering the kids. Kudos to you!

Camille

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WONDERFUL!! You did great!! congrats on live kids.

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Congradulations you did great, I still remember the first time I went in a doe.. I was terrified more than that doe...
    Barbara

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Way to go Linda! I’m so glad everything went well for you :woohoo

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:crazy Yep the first 1 is the hardest...glad it was a Great outcome for you...Congrats on the new babies!!

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Congratulations Linda on a job well done. :biggrin and on the 2 doelings.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Congratulations. I'm glad the doelings are OK. I had something similar happen where the doe broke her water and then stopped pushing. I went in and found a breech kid. After I delivered her, the rest came on their own. My goat mentor told me that sometimes when a kid is breech, the contractions will stop. I, too, was very glad I went in.

9. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

Thanks for your kind words! I just felt that this was an experience worth sharing -- might not have shared if the outcome was negative. We have lived in the country for about 5 years now. My siblings were shocked and amused when we got into goats. I was the one most likely to have season tickets to the opera and another sister was Miss Little House on the Prairie! I figure if I can do hard things that are new to my experience others will be able to as well. Good Luck!

Linda

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"I appreciate the posts that have dealt with rearranging kids and double checking that all kids were delivered. It would be great if somehow pregnant does had a transparent window on their belly so that we could see what was happening -- since they don't the only way to tell is by feeling."

AMEN!!!!

And I am LOL about the comment about the opera, same here...it was hard for us to decide to move out of the city, because we LOVED being there, we still have our membership to the museum of fine arts! But I'll enjoy the city form a distance, now, you couldnt drag me back in to the city to live for anything!

11. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

Lee Anne, it really is like stepping back 30 or 40 years in time living out like we are. I really love it! When we drive back to Houston it is the traffic that really gets to me. There are so many nice trade offs that I miss very little of our "former life". When we first moved out to the middle of nowhere, our kids swore that they would not be able to sleep without the sound of trains and traffic in the background! Amazing as it may sound, I was terrified to walk outside in the dark because there were no next door neighbors! Our mind sets can be so funny in their inconsistencies sometimes!

Linda

12. Corky

Corky New Member

When we first moved here the sound of the train whistle in the distance was one of the things that made me feel at home.
    In the city we heard the train whistles from the tracks that were a few miles south of us in the summer when we had the windows open.

13. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Linda,

Thanks for posting your experience- it gives us newbies encouragement! I'm glad everything went okay!!

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Good job!!! Congrats on doelings!

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I think Joni and I were happier when we pulled in to hear the kids were out :) I don't kid out this time of year because I can't breath this fluid cold air. The kids are beautiful with the cutest nubian ears....not quite as short as I have seen some in the showring out here in Nubian classes!!! :) Teasing! Great job Linda and thanks for sharing...now get off the internet and soap! Vicki

16. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

I will directly, getting things layed out in the kitchen between feedings and milkings -- oh and yes I am just about to order from Nutrition World in Arkansas -- whole afternoon is free now that DH is gone to work! whew! ;) my children do keep asking when we are going to start the soaping today!

Vicki, thanks for dropping everything, time was really of the essence! I really was relieved that all went well in the end but it could have been really horrible, you may not have been able to save the situation but I sure was banking on it! Thank you again!

Linda

17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

wow Linda, you are sooo brave!! I hope I have the curage to do that if the time ever comes. if others can do it, so can I!

-Melissa

18. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

Congrats and :woohoo way to go on that good call.

Deana