Kidding and raising Dairy goats according to Countryside. LOL!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

:lol How many of you take Countryside and read the articles about kidding and Raising dairy goats in there this issue.

Vicki! I hope you take that Magazene or if not you should borrow one. :rofl

The instructions on how to milk was funny too. Grab that teet, squeeze and PULL!!! :rofl (poor goats)

I do love that Magazine but..... too funny!

I just can't wait to get your reaction. :biggrin

2. I don't get that magazine.

My niece had to learn not to pull on the teats. Hannah is a very forgiving doe, thankfully.

I only get one magazine, and its a horse one. lol

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH dear pulling on teats is my hubby's big problem he was used to milking cows as a kid and I have to really keep on him. Thank goodness I now have a machine.

4. Corky

Corky New Member

Thats funny you should say that Sondra, because I just posted on another board that my DH does the same thing.

5. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

We get Countryside. Funny how they published that.
    Am I wrong.. but aren't they owned by a diary goat magazine also?

We've taken Countryside for years... have even had an article published a long time ago.
    We used to fight over who was going to read it first.. we settled on whoever got it out of the box got it first.. but now we just thumb through it, no time to read most of it.

6. Corky

Corky New Member

Actually when Jerry (JD) Belanger retired and turned Country Side over to his kids he then got restless and Bought the Dairy Goat Journal.

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Rett, Us too, I "had" them back to the very first issue's, now I'm usually too busy doing homesteading to read about homesteading.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Loved the old Countryside. Hate the new one and the Dariy Goat Journal now....nope I don't read the articles, mostly I find out things because someone tells me :) I realize that nanny and billy goat folks have to have their magazines to LOL!!! I convert alot of them. Vicki

9. Corky

Corky New Member

Well it is too bad you missed this one because you would just LOVE it. :rofl

You have ruined me. I can't enjoy a nice (I started to say good) goat article without crenging at some of the advice given. Shame on you! :twisted

10. Doc

Doc New Member

Countryside is for the "nanny" and "billy" crowd.

11. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I don't get it....are we trying to say the Nannny and Billly crowd??? Or the buck and doe crowd?? I'm lost! :help

12. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Well the forum automatically changes the words "Nannny" and "Billly" to buck and doe if you spell them correctly....so I was wondering if that's what they typed and the forum changed it on them.

13. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Well Vicki,Kaye & Sondra has changed my way of thinking too. :laughcry I can't read anything on another forum ( I've deleted all of my quick links on my desktop to other websites) or in a magazine without cringing at the advice given. So I guess I am learning. Thanks Vickie, Kaye & Sondra. ;)

Wendy, Still a newbie but learning from the best

14. Corky

Corky New Member

I was just laughing at that post because you are right. The computer did it. :biggrin

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Pretty bad when you forget the rules on your own forum :) Course since I have nothing to do with any of it, in all honesty.......

And wow I am jazzed that we are ruining all of you from the Nannny and Billlie information....when you know better you do better!

So Corky who wrote the article??? vicki

16. Corky

Corky New Member

The one titled "Tips for rookie goat owners is by Nancy Farris and the other one titled "your Kidding" is by Kay Wolfe. It is about boar goats.
    I haven't read much of that one as I don't have boar goats but I think it is OK.

I read that she thinks browse is the very best food and I agree if you have lots of acres that will regenerate its self enough. That is what she said too.

Of course most don't have that much land.

She also warns against overpopulation. It may be good. I need to finish that one.

17. Doc

Doc New Member

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

19. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Christian had to correct his mom at dinner the other night when she called our buck the other "b" word. ;)

The new Hobby Farms has an article about bottle raising. It says to feed milk replacer. I may have outgrown Hobby Farms. (Though I still need remedial help in the garden, so I'll keep my subscription...)

20. Corky

Corky New Member

Oh yeah, I forgot. The article also suggested milk replacer...or at least one of them did. :D