kid worming

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janettemoore, Jun 10, 2008.

1. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

At what age do you start worming new kids? And what wormer? I am working on changing to natural wormers, but probably won't get it done this year for all my goats.

Janette

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Janet be awful careful going to herbal wormer's down where you are at. As you know I would love to be able to go all natural but just isn't feasible down here in the humid south without many many acres to rotate your pens along with using herbals.
    Think all the info on raising kids is in Goat 101

3. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

Thanks, Sondra....I found it. Also I do worry about heat and humidity here, so I'll continue to think about "natural". I've got plenty to keep me busy for now, using the "poisons" I already have.

Janette

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

you can minimise your poisen usage by getting the correct copper levels, having pens where you put them just for overnight worming, and large pastures or rotation pastures, keeping your Fields high so they aren't browsing with their head down. keeping all feeders as goat poo proof as possible, ie keep out the hooves!

5. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

Good advice, Sherrie......Thanks. My fields are not high, we got what we got. But I have already started to change out some not so good feeders.

Janette

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Janette as you get assimilated by those natural wormer gals, just remember. That I don't know many of them who have nicer stock than mine, who live in our area, who fecal and then find that the herbal wormers are working, who don't have issues with reproduction on their farm with the use of wormwood, who use less wormer than I do, or who eventually aren't on this list asking questions or calling me in a panic when their best doe is dieing from anemia.

I would look at your management in our area completely differently....test for copper and selenium in your herd, treat accordingly with better minerals and bolusing if you need to. Get away from molassased feeds and molasses as such a huge ingredient in the minerals. No sweet feed. No byproduct grain products, and call lactation pellets milkstand grain. Feeding of grain to dry stock. Prolonged dry periods. The use of colostrum from 1st and second fresheners using instead colostrum from does of yours who are older and lived at your farm the longest. Even if it is just a cc they recieve because there isn't alot of it, and then use younger does colostrum. Vaccinating to boost immunity. Then as you have built a strong immunity in your goats, supplement with your herbs, see if your goats can maintain production and bloodlevels with more worm eggs.

The problem with cocci is that there is no immunity to pass, there is no majic number in which you can say if she has this many occysts per gram she is fine and this many and she is dead or ruined. Because each lifecycle of the cocci looks exactly the same and some are killers. Vicki