kid with scours

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sunny Daze, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I have a 10 week old nigerian buckling with scours. It started a few weeks ago, him and his brother started getting loose stools. I gave them corid and dewormed (everyone was due anyway). Still wasn't normal pellets but better than before, took a fecal to the vet, he said no worms or cocci they should be fine. They did seem to get better, but never quite back to their normal selves. Stool back to normal though and they were eating well. Went out of town for 2 days last weekend and one of the two died on my poor goat sitter. By the time she called me I knew it was too late. When I got back I isolated the other and kept an eye on him. He has had off and on normal pellets,runny then clumpy, then normal again. He still has an appetite although definitely a bit slower than the other kids his age. I also gave him some B-complex, probios and red cell. He had his second CDT last week. Temp is normal. They are all due for corid again so started that yesterday. Not sure what else to do or what it could be. I hate giving him things that are unnecessary, but he seems to be stuck at this stage, not really improving but not really getting worse either. I hate to go to the vet as they will charge me an arm and a leg and this is an unregistered nigerian. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!! -Carissa

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

That appeared to be the age last year with mine, when they were most vunerable to cocci. I bet it's cocci.

Check in 101, and see if you are giving it the way Kaye does. It worked good on mine last year with her method.

Sorry you lost one, Whim

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

That is the dosage that I am using...I had had a fecal done on the one who died about a week before he died and the vet said no cocci. That is what puzzled me. Otherwise I was pretty sure that is what it is/was. Well this is day 2 of this round of corid, will keep a close eye on him and see if he improves. All the others seem to be fine....??

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

All parasites can shed intermittently. Meaning one day you will have no eggs, 2 days later they will be shedding like crazy. In other words just because you have one fecal normal doesn't mean they don't have any parasites.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

is he eating on new grass?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Remember the eggs from worms and the occysts of cocci are not what is causing the damage. When you have obvious symptoms like this hit them with a wormer and put them back on corid. You never want to wait for symptoms like this...prevention. Now you are going to be dealing with ruined scarred intestines for life, even if you get him over this he can be like this forever, any change and loose stools, in rut, loose stools, hot summer loose stools, freeze, loose stools. Scarred intestines do not absorb nutritients. Try to get from kidding to weaning without scours by using your prevention strictily, not even late by one day. Vicki

7. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Well, I thought I was pretty good about a preventative schedule this year. That is the frusterating part. No, he is not on new grass or anything. All the other kids except for this guy and his brother who died are fine. I wonder if they are have a weaker immune system for some reason. They were out of a FF and were on the small side from the beginning. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else it likely was...he is going to be wethered, just wanted to wait to get him right first.

I will keep treating for cocci and hopefully he will make it through ok...thanks for the input! -Carissa