Kid Raising

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KJFarm, Dec 24, 2007.

1. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Kidding season is fast approaching for everyone, and some have already begun. We have quite a few new forum members and I was thinking how great it would be, if in the Goatkeeping 101, there could be a quick reference page on kid raising.
    I have lots of notes, books, hands-on, but for the new ones, this would be invaluable. Information about when to start cocci prevention, worming, meds to use, dosages, how often to treat, etc., maybe done in a chart form, would be so much easier that having to read various threads for hours to get the information. It might also include information on feeding. If we had something like this, it would be a time saver for me, when all the calls start coming in the spring. I could just have people get on the forum, find the quick reference, and I wouldn't have to spend hours on the phone!!!! I really do have lots of patience with folks trying to learn, but kidding season is stressful without having daily calls for help :lol My family tells me I would be rich if I had a meter on the phone, and sent everybody who called for goat help a bill for my time!!! I love every minute of it, but as I get older, I'm always looking for an easier way of doing things. So, hope this will be given some thought and maybe become a reality for the forum.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

We see what we can do in the mean time maybe start posting a list of things.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You know how when you are at the zoo, you push a button at the fenceline and it tells you about all the animals in it. I have threatened many a kidding season to have tape recorders to press at each stall, about each kid for sale (Madeline is the beautiful doeling with the purple collar... blah blah blah) then when they are done they can come back in the house, say yes or no and I can keep soaping ;)

Anyone who wants to post something to goatkeeping 101 just write it up and submit it, or start a thread with that in mind, we can just erase posts in the thread when we get chatty, you know how we always get off topic :) Vicki

4. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I think that is a great idea Janie, if it is a chart format, that would be grea t. There's lot's I haven't done in past years, cause whoever told me what to do, I'd forget when etc. If it was like a chart to look at that would be easy. And yes, it takes too much time to wade through all the treads to find what you want. :handclap

Sheryl

5. Corky

Corky New Member

I think an aritcle in 101 on each step from kidding to raising kids and everything should be in 101 because, even though I have done this for several years now when it get s close to kidding day it all seems to fly our of my head and I panic!

I start digging everywhere for all the notes and things I know I have that were right there on the shelf where they are supposed to be till I need them.

I of course imagine the worst of birthing conditions and have been lucky to only have minor presentation problems.

I do know that if I have the bad stuff happen I am on my own.
    No phone service in the barn.

I print it all out and organize it and then I get the book out to read up and misplace it. Old age I guess.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK I will work some thing up in the next few days and then send it to Kaye or Vicki to correct me.