kid poop problems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sunny Daze, May 8, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I am really baffled as to what this could be, but hoping someone here can help. I have triplet doeling bottle babies (ND's), 4 wks old. Just finishing up 1st round of corid, dewormed several days ago with cydectin. Disbudded and given Tet. antitoxin sunday. I had them out grazing and playing and was watching them earlier today. One doeling had something white coming out her rear, looked a little gooey but didn't stick to her. I posted on another forum, someone thought tape worm segment which I thought it could be. Just fed and noticed clearish stuff coming out now and a little more runny, although still gooey kind of like snot or a big loogey (sp?). Sorry, best way to describe it. Still not sticking to her, so not sure if this has been going on more than just today b/c her bottom is clean. She is downing her bottle, nibbling at grain (they aren't quite chowing down on it yet), running around playing like lunatics. Everything else is normal. It is very odd and I feel like I should be alarmed yet she is acting 100% every other way. I was trying to watch to see if she had a normal poop as well, but she didn't go while I was watching. Did give her some probios, not sure what else I should do.... :help

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

um I can't think right now but not sure cydectin gets tapes think you need a white wormer like Valbazen.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also would white worm her. This kid is ripe for tapes but also for entero. And tapes can bring on entero with the filling of the intestine aggrevates the entero toxin in the gut, just like too much milk or grain does.

A fecal is the best way to handle this, If you don't have cheap vet fecals, than learning to do it yourself is easy, and much cheaper anyway. vicki

4. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Going to worm with valbazen this am...out vet charges $30 a fecal!! I have just about everything to do my own fecals except a microscope! Working on it though...

5. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

You might be able to send your samples in. We have an agricultural lab here in Lynchburg, Va, and they charge $5 to do a fecal. We normally drop ours off, but they accept them through the mail also. Maybe you have an office near you? The only thing they told me about the sample was it needed to be as fresh as possible, and I could send it in with an ice pack or overnight it.
    Anita

6. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I will have to check into that. This vet recently gave a lecture about internal parasites and kept stressing how important it is to fecal (didn't show you how, or even suggest doing your own). So the first time I brought one in to him I couldn't believe how much it was! The other vet I use wasn't quite so much, but he is farther away since we moved and it would cost me the difference in fuel. I gave her some valbazen. I have been keeping an eye on her and I have seen more normal stools so I am thinking it was tapes...Thanks everyone!