kid not doing well

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sunny Daze, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

One of my ND's kidded with quads thurday late night. I got home in time to find the first one out and dead (still in sack) the next one was fine, 3rd one came out barely breathing and 4th one was fine. got the 3rd one breathing, put him in warm water and got the temp up, was able to tube feed him colostrum and did so through out the day yesterday. He seemed to be doing better, was able to stand up and made a little noise from time to time. Was keeping his temp up. Now he seems to be getting more lethargic again. Not as strong, I gave him electrolyte solution a little while ago (don't have lactated ringers although it is on my list for next order!) Gave him Bo-Se yesterday and vit B complex yesterday and today. Is there anything else I can do? He has temp up to 101 this morning but now it is down to 99 again. I really want him to pull through since he has made it this far. Asked a vet for advice today and he was no help at all. Just want to make sure I am doing all I can! Thanks!

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Has he pooped and passed his meconium? If not, he needs an enema. Is he geting enough colostrum/milk today?

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Is he getting alot to eat? has he pooped or peed yet? also maybe some nutridrench will help give him some energy too...also feed his some warm milk that is 102 to get his temp back up...thats all I could suggest

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Are you keeping him really warm? Is he full-sized or could he be a bit preemie? I would keep a heating pad under him (wrapped in about 2 towels so it doesn't get too hot) and a heat lamp slightly off to the side. Keep him hydrated. tube with warm colostrum if he won't suck, but don't feed him until body temp is up.

Don't give up....these little guys are tough.

Camille

5. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Lost him this morning :( He had pooped, and was pooping regularly. I don't think he was a premie. He was small but mom is a small doe and had quads...I had given him nutridrench, he got colostrum and milk via tube and electrolyte solution. He was doing great again late last night, getting perky and walking around the room. When I checked this am he was barely there...his temp wouldn't register on my digital thermometer...couldn't save him :sniffle

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:down Sorry.....we just can't save all of them all of the time......hope the other 2 are doing fine......
    Whim

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sorry for your loss.

8. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

Sorry hope the other 2 do well for you.

Deana

9. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Thank you and yes, the other two are doing great! Not sure why this kid had such a hard time as the 2nd and 4th kids both came out kicking and screaming. Guess it wasn't meant to be...

10. Truly

Truly New Member

So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you still have two alive and well.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sorry you lost him...just for the future. Get a lactated ringers set up from Hoeggers. This way if this happens again, or you have a sick kid, you can tube colostrum or milk and not put anything else down orally. It just sets them up to fail. They aren't built to handle oral fluids like that, just colostrum or milk. And nutradrench is nothing but propolyn glycol with some minerals mixed in...the vitamins are so diluted in this stuff that you would have to feed 1 ounce of it to even give the kid it's recommended 300 IU of vitamin E. vicki

12. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Thanks Vicki, yes, it is definitely on my list. I actually started making a list a week ago (before all this) but was going to wait and make sure there wasn't anything else I had forgotten. Lactated ringers was already on the list, although I have never needed it but have heard from everyone on here and other forums it is a good thing to have on hand. I only gave him colostrum and milk until he didn't seem to be improving from it. Gave him about 1/2 oz if that of electrolytes. I guess sometimes you learn things by experiencing them, the hard way...I actually feel like I got some good experience (although its sad we lost him) because it was my first time actually tubing one and that part at least went well and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. :sigh