Kid not doing well

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Goat Land, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

We had a kid born on the 25th. that is not acting right. We have her in the house now. We tried bottle feeding her, but she would not take it. So we drenched her with a little bit of milk. She is more responsive now, but she is standing with her head in the corner and is shaking. Every so often she will scrunch up and stand on her front legs like she has to poop. We gave her an enema and nothing happened. She is peeing though. We are giving her some milk about every hour. What should we do? :help

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Is she nursing mom? Whats her temp? Whats her tummy feel like? Hard or sloshy or empty. If nursing mom have you gone out to check if mom has milk? Do you have any banamine?

At just 7 days old with no poop yet, than I would say she is starving. If on mom can you make mom nurse her? IF not you will have to tube her. One trip to the vet to save the doeling would also teach you how to tube. Then you can simply force her onto the bottle. If her temp is low this only confirms the above. It is higher than 103 than you have a bacteria or virus going on, but that would not explain the non poopy butt, most things wrong with kids at this age also have nasty butts. Get back with us with more info. Vicki

3. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

She was nursing mom. Her sister is fine so I assume that mom has milk. We saw her nursing our dog the other day so maybe the mom has rejected her. She just ate about 8 ounces from a bottle, but still not acting right. Her stomach is neither hard nor sloshy maybe empty. Her temp. is 94.5! There was yellow poop on the end of the thermometer. We have her in a blanket now.

4. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

WE also put her on a heating pad to try to raise her temp.

5. Truly

Truly New Member

Here's hoping she pulls thru for you. That low temp scares me.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah that temp is body shutting down organ failure temps. She is likely severely dehydrated, and with a temp that low she can not keep the milk warm to assimilate it in her stomach. Got to get that temp up. Can you subq her lactated ringers that is warmed to 102? A heating pad without her having fluids is going to dehydrate her further. Can you have the vet IV her warmed fluids and then take her home with the fluids to subq her? Vicki

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

How often are you offering her a bottle? I am feeding my little house doeling an 8 ounce bottle every 2-4 hours, depending on when she asks for it. I don't get up during the night any more to feed her, she waits til morning. She is going through about 8 or 9 diapers a day.

8. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

Just checked her temp. it is 101.5! What is lactated ringers? We are feeding her about every 1-2 hours. She just had about 8 oz. and pooped!!!! Never thought I would be so happy to have a goat poop.

9. Truly

Truly New Member

I am so glad to hear this good news. Yay, POOP

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If you have ever seen anyone in the hospital hooked up to IV fluids to keep them hydrated, that's what lactated ringers is. People get it after surgery and vets also use it. Vets give it IV, but it can also be injected under the skin of goats at home. Hoeggers now sells it and you should be able to get it from your vet if this baby needs it now.
    It sounds to me that your baby had that low temp because she was starving and that she is now responding to the nutrients and being warm. It's still important to be sure she's hydrated. I'm glad she's pooping and doing better.

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep ordered lactated ringers from Hoeggers, and the vet should have some too to sell you. Not hard to do either. Isnt it odd we get so EXCITED over poo and pee...I know that is what I always look for when they are new and even the older 1's...