Kid help !

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

This is the 1 .5 month old kid doeling that has the stuff all over her butt, and now has a spot on her mouth and between her hoof split ,she was fine yesterday.
    I doctored this kid with all kinds of stuff and then took her to vet,he said he had never saw anything like it but thinks it may be staph Sooo I am giving her PenG 3cc,SQ @1X a day and spraying her butt ,hoof and spot with antibacterial spray . The doe kid is growing well and fat ... BUT today she wont eat,separated and laying down,stretching some when she stands,mama doe is full of milk but baby doe is not sucking and did not eat goat pellets ......... I forced some baking soda water down her about 1 hour ago....... what else can I do ????? I panic and loose my senses on thinking :down

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Whats the temp. Is the stuff in her mouth and making eating uncomfortable? He didn't give you anything topical to use...chlorhexideen and Genesis is pretty common for even dog type vets to perscribe for dogs with staph and it works very well on goats. Antibacterial spray isn't really helpful, what is it called? Vicki

3. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

nope no spray stuff, just water mixed with antibiotic dish soap but monday I am calling him for Betagen spray. I am giving her 1 cc of Dex and 2 cc of pepto with 2 cc oil mixed given oral , and a suppository to get her to poop . Any other suggestions ?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

pepto stops poop don't know why you would give that?? I would be giving cd antitoxin big time with her stretching etc. alitte banamin for pain get her eating one way or another. otherwise lactated ringers.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Remember if you add water to anything 'antibacterial' it is no longer strong enough to be antibacterial, read the bottles of dishwashing liquid, it is only antibacterial if used straight.

Without knowing what you are dealing with this is about all you can do. I would give bo-se if you aren't because the dex reaks havoc on their immune system, especially in one so young. Vicki

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Well Geeze , ya'll know how hard it is to find a vet that knows what they are doing when it comes to goats ! The vet doesnt know what the doeling has, the mama doe ,another doe and her 2 kids are in the same pen large area with this doeling but none have caught this,so I am praying it's not contagious . To me it's something that the doeling own body immunety is against herself. She's a healthy hefty big doeling now as her mama only had a single doe ... this year which is odd . The doeling is P'ing and drinking water now and she nipped at the teat but didnt really suck that I saw.
    Yes, Vicki .. I checked out the NEW selenium map here at site and we have almost " O " selenium in our area ..... Monday ,I am making a copy and getting that vet to get me some selenium ! I heard from a dog raiser that Betagen spray works great for staph and I am asking him for that too. Tomorrow if I still have a doeling,I will give her some warm kefir and yogurt if she's not sucking.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

tomarrow maybe too late she needs some food in her today either tube it in or force feed her. Just a thought her but have you tried iodine on the spots?

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I would give her idone baths. Mix some of the iodone that you dip naval cords in with some warm water and dip her in it and use your fingers and scrub those itchy spots. Our give her betadine scrubs daily on the infected areas. I wouldn't put anything on these areas that is moist, like an ointment, but rather use some sort of drying spray. Have you given her the penicillin before? If so it may not be strong enough to kill it if it is a staff infection. You may need a stronger antibiotic if it has gotten into her blood stream and is spreading. (Be careful that you don't get this, don't know if you could catch it or not, but I would be careful and use gloves) I would give her probios a couple times a day. I wouldn't give her pepto or any oil in her stomach so it doesn't smother the good bacteria in her gut. I would also. Have you given her her cd/t shot or was her mama vaccinated before her birth? Don't forget her normal care the dewormings and cocci treatments.

Did the vet do a scape on these areas? Can he tell if it might be some sort of fungal infection? You might could even try an antifungal spray like Tinactin or something like that. That's all the ideas I have. Hope she gets over it soon.

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

The doeling is better today,she's up and sucking, nibbling hay and looks allert ........ whew !
    Her butt looks the same,I spray with the soap/water stuff but son has been using Triodine 7 iodine spray at night on her when he gives her her 3 cc of Pen G IM. for 5 days now . The doeling has been wormed 2X since birth, she has had 1 CD&T ,Mama doe has had all her shots,copper bolus and also wormed .. they look very healthy fat and in good shape ,they get goat pellets,alfalfa pellets,whole oats,dry hay. I also give them and rotate around mixed in their food a little DE,minerals,baking soda,ground flax and calf manna . The doe has had NO pepto or oil untill yesterday.... the doe has been fine acting until yesterday and son said last night that he mixed sweet feed in with the pellets, when he gave her her shot ........ I had already warned him about feeding that sweet feed, I NEVER buy or feed sweet feed ....... I bet he wont feed that kid anymore !!!!!!!! GGRRrr

I am going get fungal spray like the Tinactin today and IF the kid is no better then Tuesday get a scraping of that stuff

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Linda have you ckd around for fire ant beds??

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Sondra , I have plenty of fire ants here. Where I have the goats is right next to my pond . I have ducks and catfish in the pond so I dont like putting poison out or around the pond, this includes the goat pen that the doeling is in, however I haven't seen but a few as it's been cold. I did notice that the hay was just full of crickets tho and the goats seem to like the hay better after it's rained on and dried out. It's weird and a mystery to me .

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Not saying it's ant's, but am saying that our fire ants and cut ants were rip roaring mad and active this weekend. The fire ants were awake and alert and angry under everything I picked up and the cut ants were dragging leaves and corn chops into their nests just as frantically and fast as they could.

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Just something I found out with fungal infections...NO steroids-Dex.
    When I was going through ordeal with incompetent Dr. and ringworm on my hand...he was prescribing Prednisone...Dermatologist threw a wall-eyed-fit...."NEVER give steroids of any kind with fungal infections!" It only feeds the fungus. Sooooo, I think I'd stop the dex. Even if it's just staph...like Vicki said...you're lowering the immune system.

Just a tip,
    Kaye