Kid Height - Nubian

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Jan 17, 2009.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

We talk a lot about weight, I would love to get a few wither heights. If anyone has any Arpril or May kids would you mind measureing the wither height for me. This is the first year that I have kept my own kids and am very curious to see where the stand.

Thanks so much,

Paula

2. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I could go measure Hully, if you like. Granted, she's June 23rd, but being from the same sire as Diedre, it might give you a decent comparison. I can let you know where Tripoli and Jarlath are, too, if you like... of course, we'd expect it to be higher, since they're bucks... let me know. I need to go unload some feed so will be out anyway.

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Sure, Thanks...I would love to see a bunch of heights.

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Well, goats very quickly obtain height! a young 5-6 month old buck will already be around 30 inches in height, Its the weight, depth, and length that comes slowly : ) Now they do get a little taller as they grow. My 2008 girls arent as tall yet as they will be.

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Here, I seem to have lots of weight, depth and length...it's height that has me concerned. I am thinking back last year showing my dry yearlings and they seemed WAY taller than my girls...maybe I'm crazy, or maybe the difference between a Feb. Kid in a yearling class in August vs a May kid is bigger than I thought.

Paula

6. stoneyheightsfarm

Okay, I'm not certain how helpful this will be... couldn't find our yardstick among all the project "stuff" so I used the weight tape. Had David hold collars while I took measurements. I did weights while I was at it, but I know I always get 20ish pounds over the scale when I use the Hoegger tape, even though I make sure to stay behind the withers... So here's what I got (probably wildly inaccurate, but I tried!)

Hully: 26" withers, 97 pounds, June doeling

Jill: 28.5 withers, 160 pounds (bred to kid early April, hopefully??) Feb doe

Julie: 27.5 withers, 170 pounds (bred to kid late April, hopefully??) Feb doe

Jarlath: 29.5 withers, 120 pounds, Late Apr/early May? buck

Tripoli: 29.5 withers, 101 pounds, mid May buck

I know those weights, particularly on the girls, are really high. They look too fat and I know my measurements are not accurate on their weight also...

I look forward to seeing what everyone else has to say here...

7. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Billie, what is your feed bill?? LOL ...goodness...Jill and Julie are loving life.

Paula

8. stoneyheightsfarm

You don't want to know my feed bill! Jill & Julie are porkers. They look more like meat goats than diary goats! Even their faces look roundish... I had Kate & Kelly here for a little over 2 weeks and the difference was astounding. She has dairy girls! So I really hope Jill & Julie are bred, b/c if not, they may be too fat to breed! (hope to u/s this week) ...and I just bought 5 bags of Edward's Goat Chow (I get that each month) and 4 bags of Co-Op Goat feed w/Rumensin (I give that to the boys)... But Cinderella and the chickens like goat food, too, so.....