Kid Health Management

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Country-Brooks Farm, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Country-Brooks Farm

Country-Brooks Farm New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the group and thought i would introduce myself. I am Cody Welch. I am owner of Country-Brooks Farm. I have been breeding Alpines for about 4 years. I breed for show and milk production. I have a very healthy herd of about 15-20 goats. But, I have yet to find a health care routine that is suitable to my climate for kids. If anyone has a good health routine that they follow for their kids with little vaccination, please give me some pointers.
    Thanks!

2. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Hi Cody,
    Welcome! I see from your web site that you in Central Ms. I'm in South Ms. and have Nubians. Glad to have you on the board!

Tamera

3. Country-Brooks Farm

Thanks! Do you show? Mississippi Goat Association is a great orginazition for Mississippi breeders. They have two ADGA sanctioned shows each year and a one day milk test/fun sho. The website is www.mississippigoatassociation.org

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Since your also in the south your problems are likely similar to me...and welcome to the forum :)

The does are vaccinated (CD&T, Lysigin for staph, and a pasteurella vaccintaion) before being bred (pasterurella) and before kidding (CD&T and a booster of Lysigin) so they have real viable immunites in the colostrum to give to the kids. I also prebreeding and prekidding give Bo-se. I also use a wonderful mineral mix...all of this gives you healthy kids. Since kids are born sterile, high quality colostrum is a must, and it doesn't come from first fresheners. You really want to use colostrum from your oldest does, even if all the kids you have only get 2 to 4 ounces of it, and then the rest from their young dam.....sure they can all drink moms colostrum but the improvement in herd health in your kids when they drink old doe colostrum is really amazing.

At birth all my kids get their bo-se shots 1/2cc, little tiny high multiples get 1/4cc...and a 300IU unit walmart vitamin E capsule...snip the end and squish in the mouth...navels sprayed and feet sprayed with iodine. They get 20 ounces minimum of heat treated colostrum before they are 12 hours old and then go on pasteurised milk.

Before they are 3 weeks old they are started on a cocci prevention, I use Corid and a worming, I use Valbazen but my kids are not living on ground adults live on...if your kids are with adults or on pasture where adults live you have to worm them with what works for your adults...here cydectin. They stay on this schedule of being wormed every 3 weeks, and on their cocci prevention for 5 days, every 21 days, until well grown...then I start fecal sampling to see when they need to be wormed. Cocci meds are then started in the grain they eat until 100 days pregnant, they are then switched slowly to milkstand grain.

I vaccinate at 6, 9 and 12 weeks with CD&T...since mom is vaccinted to bolster her colostrum, I don't really worry about vaccinating young anymore, and actually think it interfers with maternal immunity if you do vaccinate too young. But I am also a creature of habit, so kids are fed exactly the same thing day in and day out, no cold bottles when they are used to warm and no full lambar if previously they were on measured amounts, no changes in grain period.

I breed my does at 8 months, before this time they are given their pasteurella vaccine and also their lysigin for staph.

Hope this helps. Vicki

5. Country-Brooks Farm

What is your opinion on Covexin 8, rather than CD&T?

Cody

6. NubianSoaps.com

I would only use it if gangrenous mastitis or malignant edema is a problem in your herd. It has way to many clostridums that are not a problem in ruminants in my area for me to use this.

I could see it being a valuable tool in the vaccinating of older goats, but it's way too many CC's and all are way too diluted to use in kids. If Tetanus or Entero is a problem in your herd, you are actually giving less Tetanus and less of the vaccinatable C&D parts of clostridiums that effect goats by using vaccines that contain many parts. Why some on this forum give plain C&D and plain T as seperate vaccinations. Vicki

7. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Welcome Cody. You will enjoy this forum so much, there is an incredible amount of knowledge here and everyone one is very helpful. Again, welcome.

Anne

8. Country-Brooks Farm

I see. I have some kids that are a little over a month old. They were disbudded at around 2 weeks and given 1/2 cc of Covexin 8. Is it safe for me to assume that they should be protected, or, should i (if i can) give them the dose of CD&T antitoxin for good measure?

9. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I quit using Covexin 8 back in the mid 90's. We kept getting horrible injection abscesses using it. Not many people in my area use it any more.

I actually don't vaccinate for much. I am a heavy believer in BoSe, and I give BoSe at least bi-annually, in conjunction with Copasure.

I don't give CD&T. I will upon request for reserved kids, so they are on the same schedule as where they will be going.

I have a cocci prevention regeme, and I am consistent on feeding/milking, etc. Same times, same amounts. Worm bi-annually as well.

Thats pretty much it.

Ken

10. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Welcome, Cody!

You'll find other MGA members here- Tim Pruitt, Janet Cooper, & Rett Clark for example.

You can't have complete immunity from just one shot...

11. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

12. KUrby

KUrby New Member

I think this subject should be made into a sticky for all us newcomers and newbies to goats.
    It should list everything from a day old to breeding age to yearly maintenence. Including bucks and does.
    All things done to a goat. Shots,wormers, trimmings everything. Then we can all print it off and put in our book, instead of bits and pieces from here and there and maybe it might be less confusing for some of us if it was done this way(me). :biggrin
    Karen

13. Country-Brooks Farm

I agree!! But, I know that everyone does different things and use different meds so everyone will not follow the same schedule... I looked on fiascofarm.com. They have a LOT of info including a health schedule from birth!

Cody

14. Country-Brooks Farm

This is something i have come up with. Please critique it and give opinion:

Within one hour after birth:
    Make sure kid receives colostrum
    Dip umbilical cord in iodine

Day 3-5:
    Give dose of Probios to get rumen going ( rumen don't start working at this age so is a waste of probios)

Week 1-2:
    Dusbud and give 2cc Bar-Vac CD&T in one side, and 1½cc Tetanus Antitoxin in their other side. (Give booster shot 21 days after first shot)
    ( here you are being counter productive give one or the other if you give tetanus antitoxin then wait 10 days and start the series of CD/T and give it 3 time 21 days apart)

Week 3:
    Start coccidiosis prevention: Give 1cc Di-Methox once daily for one week by mouth (this is given Di-methox 40% dose: day one-1 cc per 10LBS
    day 2thru 5 give half the dose given on day 1)

Week 4:
    De-worm ( I worm with Valbazzen for tapes)

Week 5:
    Give booster shot of 2cc Bar-vac CD&T. ( 21 days after their first shot at disbudding)

Week 7:
    Give 1cc Di-Methox coccidiosis prevention once daily for one week

Week 8:
    De-Worm (if needed)
    Tattoo

Week 12:
    Give 1cc Di-Methox coccodiosis prevention once daily for one week
    De-worm
    Trim Hooves

15. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Di-methox 40% dose: day one-1 cc per 10LBS
    day 2thru 5 give half the dose given on day 1

16. NubianSoaps.com

Cody you aren't going to find many folks who know much about goats using fiasco farm for much. I do send folks there because I think her idea on raising kids on mom and then taking them away at night so you can milk in the morning is a wonderful idea. And I am sure there is other info on there worth reading...but her med ideas are very simply incorrect.

This would mean your Alpine doelings are weighing 10 pounds at 3 weeks old and at 7 weeks old they haven't gained one ounce and still weigh 10 pounds. :) We know alpines are born weighing 10 pounds :)

Rethink what you are doing, and obviously you wouldn't be here asking questions if your previous schedule works, it doesn't...

If you prevaccinate your dams, so the kids recieve high quality colostrum you don't have to vaccinate kids that young, they are being 'vaccinated' naturally via moms colostrum. And honestly a toxoid that young isn't likely working anyway. I know other breeders...Longman that use this, and sure it works for her (hmmm.or is it working because she has a very old long lived bloodline where kids are getting colostrum from very old mature does living in the herd?), it must or she surely wouldn't pass it along, but smaller amounts of vaccine simply don't work and their isn't one bit of science to it. Like just because they are goats we should give less...in no other med is this true, except baby vaccination? No....Vicki

17. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I'd liek to throw in a question- Ive got a brand new herd, and theyve been here for less than a year, only one older doe out of 4 the other 3 are FF. Obviously less than optimal colostrum for the microclimate of my farm this year!

I was thinking I might be safer to give tetanus (maybe antitoxin?) before disbudding this year. My does did get CD and T in Sept. Thoughts?

18. KUrby

KUrby New Member

Cody this is what I was wanting to see. Now for older does and buck maintence in the same way. If others would chime in for there area, this would be a great sticky! for all!
    Karen

19. NubianSoaps.com

Monty, the problem with antitoxin is that it only last about 10 days, so you would have to give it again, and again while your toxoid CD&T starts to take effect. You can start your own immunity bank in the goats you have by vaccinating them with anything that is a problem in your area....entero, tetanus, pnemonia, staph etc.. Being super careful with heat treating so you don't destroy antibody. Vicki

20. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks, Vicki. I guess the ten days would do it then, just a little extra protection when disbudding. Maybe not necessary, but it makes me feel better!

I figure my does to start in mid to late Feb- I say goopy butts the third week in Sept IIRC. Should I CD & T the does again soon to build up the immunity to that? I'll grab some PNE vaccine when I'm in town this week.

Ordered the iron today, got an X 30. Would have liked the 50 but it should do for now.