Kid having trouble walking

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by backyard_farm, Feb 19, 2008.

1. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

One of my does kidded yesterday with a buckling and a doeling. They both seemed fine, were walking around a little and nursed a little. they were born about 3-4pm. About 9pm I went out to check on them and noticed the buckling wasn't walking well; it seems like his front hooves aren't working right. His sister was running around checking everything out but he was very calm. He rarely cries either, he is just very calm. He looks ok, not out of it or anything and he will nurse sometimes and other times when I try to get him to he won't. But his sister is the same. He is nursing his dam by the way. I thought maybe he was just calm because he is a boy and it is taking him longer to get his legs working. But my other doe kidded with two bucklings today and while they are not as active as the doeling, they are more active than this first buckling and have no trouble walking. The buckling's hooves don't seem to spread apart like his sister's do. I looked at the info on Floppy Kid Syndrome; I don't hear any sloshing in his stomach. And he was like this either when he was born or soon after. And he hasn't been running around at all. And I read that Floppy Kid Syndrome starts on day 3 or later.
    So is this Floppy Kid Syndrome or something else?
    Thanks for any help,
    Belinda

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It's normal for some baby goats to take a few days to walk properly. Lot of times it has to do with how they were in the womb. It doesn't sound like floppy kid. Give him 1/2 cc BoSe subQ. Make sure his tummy is full. When babies are on their dams, they nurse when they are hungry, so don't necessarily suck every time you put them by their mother's teat. I check their little tummies. If his feels as full as the other kids, it's a good sign he's eating fine. Some kids are just quieter than others, some sleep more, some play more, just like human babies.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

and a Vit E capsul 400 IU
    all babies here get BoSe and Vit E extra

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We have noticed a pattern that some bloodlines (and sometimes even does or bucks from that line) seem to need more bo-se/vit e and be slower to get up to speed.

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

We give most of our Bo-se. What is the purpose of the vitamin E?

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

it works in conjunction with the bo-se. the absorption is aided by giving with vit E fromwhat I understand the bose has vit e in it but the extra bit seems to help.

7. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

The buckling is doing a little better today. Where do I get BoSe?
    Thanks,
    Belinda

8. Katarina

Katarina New Member

bose is rx only--from your vet. but even our control freak vet didnt take issue with providing it for us.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

give the Vit E even tho you don't have BoSE

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We are very defficient in copper in our area, add our high iron and sulfur in some areas and you are having the normal defficiencies in your kids that all of us have. Not all of our kids, but one out of triplets, one out of twins out of a young doe. She has enough for herself and for a kid or two, but a bigger litter in an older animal or a twin in a young doe, will not have a good sucking reflex, will suck a bottle with their tongue hanging out, will be over on his knees, will be down in the rear legs or hooves, or walk on the front of their front hooves, when they have enough energy to walk around.

Alot of this is white muscle disease brought on by not enough selenium in the does diet, and why we give Bo-se shots in this area about a week before the doe is due to kid. This bolsters her, the kid and her colostrum for her kids. And with the heart being the major muscle of the body weak muscles also can give you sudden death.

It is also why we talk soo much about minerals given daily, and about keeping the molassas out of your does diet....yet more iron.

Another problem you see with kids born this time of year is nutritional muscular destrophy...unless you pasture seed rye grass etc...when was the last time your doe had something high in vitamin C like fresh growing grass or weeds? So E becomes a concern. Taking a 300 or 400 unit vitamin E capsule from Walmart snipping the end off and squeezing the contents into the mouth of all your kids when born, and continueing daily until this problem kids are 100% works wonders. Selenium needs E to be absorbed, and there is little E in your Bo-se shots, so we boost the amount by using it orally like this. Vicki

11. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Well then....I'm glad I peeked into this thread. Learn something new everyday here. :)

12. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks for all of the help. :D If my vet won't sell me BoSe, is there an alternative? I will get the vitamin E also.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well there is horse gel I understand but has to be given more often and also some sort of crumbles I think How close are you to Vicki and her vet?

14. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

I am going to call my vet to find out if I can get BoSe; but in this area there are mostly cat/dog vets. I will also ask the lady I bought the goats from if she is able to get Bose.
    I live about 1 1/2 hours from Vicki.
    Thanks again.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK it would be well worth the drive if you can't get it from your vet if they have questions get Vicki's vets number to give them so they can contact her. offer to pay for the ph call.

16. NubianSoaps.com

But not just my vet, there are hundreds of dairy goat folks in our area, and all have different vets...find the best herd near you and see what vet they have groomed :) vicki

17. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

I am checking with the lady I bought the does from as she has the only dairy goat herd that I know of in my area. Hopefully she has a vet that will sell BoSe. Can I give Vit.E even before I get BoSe, or should I wait?

18. NubianSoaps.com

What town are you in? Vicki

19. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Will the gel work as well as the injection? I found a gel that has 3mg of selenium and 500mg vit e. I noticed the BoSe has 1mg of selenium and 50 iu of vit e plus the extra e capsule that should be given with it. So if I use the gel, what would be the dose? Or could I make something with a selenium tablet crushed and mixed with milk and add the vit e and squirt it in the kid's mouth? I don't think I will be able to find a vet to give BoSe and I don't have a lot of extra time to try and find one. The kid is running around playing today, and nursing fine. His front hooves are still bent under slightly though.
    Thanks again,
    Belinda

20. NubianSoaps.com

Nobody knows :) orally if it was going to work would certainly work on a kid...most things that aren't nutritional are degraded in the rumen so I would doubt dietary selenium given orally would impact the blood stream the way our Bo-se does. It would be more about what is happening in the bloodstream of the doe several days from now or accumlated and not peed out.

Someone has to take a blood test preusing the oral gel, and after using it to know if it works. Then publish those results in single stomached infant goatlins and adults with functioning ruminants. Vicki