Kid Emergency

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Twin Nigie does, born about 2 hours ago. One is doing great the other isn't. Her temp is 102.5 and she took a little bit of a bottle and then stopped--only got maybe an ounce or less. She also can't stand. Her back legs give out. I gave her a Vitamin E capsule and some Sel/E gel which is all I had. We are in one of the few areas of the country with good/high selenium so I don't typically give BoSe. She is very shaky and isn't sucking the bottle anymore. It's 9:30pm so I can't go out and get meds. I read Sue Reith's article and I don't have B complex or BoSe so I don't know what to do until tomorrow. I think she may be premature but I don't know why 1 would be fine... :help

2. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Re: Kid Emergency--is this FKS?

It sounds like they are too young for floppy kid. How much do you expect them to eat on the first feeding?
    Tim

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

keep trying to get the colostrum down her that is the best thing for her right now. floppy kid usually is older kids I think.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sometimes the weaker ones have to be fed 1 oz at a time every 1 to 2 hours.

5. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

She did not even get 1 ounce and she can't stand or suck. Anything? I've never tubed a kid but I would be willing to try if its the only way...

6. susie

susie New Member

Here's the link to a tube-feeding informational site

http://kinne.net/tubefeed.htm

I don't blow in it, but once i think the tube's in the stomach i take a syringe and attach it to the tube and try to draw back on the syringe plunger-- if it doesn't come back very far or at all that's good your in the stomach. then take the plunger out or attach a syringe w/o a plunger.
    Be sure to only put the colostrum in as fast as it will naturally flow with gravity, and then pinch the tube at the top when you pull it out, so as not to get any fluids in the lungs.

Maybe she just needs some nourishment-- don't let her get too cold either.
    keep us posted--
    Susie

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

About how much does this baby weigh? One ounce might be a lot for her if she is tiny. I would give her a 1/4 cc of bo-se and if she won't suck a bottle I would tube feed her about 1-2 ounces of colostrom every couple of hours and keep her warm. That is all I would do. I would not start giving a bunch of oral meds to this baby. Sometimes it just takes a day or so for one of them to find their legs. Dont' hear any rattling in the lungs?

8. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

She's doing MUCH better this morning. After feeding her 1.5 ounces of colostrum and .5 ounces cow milk (ran out of colostrum and Mom wasn't making much) she finally got a sucking reflext this morning. Still a little wobbly and can't lift her neck up all the way but vast improvement.

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I've wrapped shaky little ones up in my jacket & put 'em on a heating pad until they get past it.. sometimes when they're small and cold, they nurse slower.. just give her time and keep at it. you may have to try every other hour or so. but I bet she comes around!
    And she may have been all cramped up in there..
    I'm like that in the mornings!
    Saying a prayer for her!