Kid barn plans,

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I want to build a kid barn this year. I'm Sick of having house guests till late march. :rofl Looking for Ideas, to help us plan the best little kid barn ever.. Big enough for us to walk into. Not just one open barn but at least 4 seperate pens, for Jan babies, bucks, and May babies. But yet Not so big as to put it out of our Meager price range for supplies. we will be building this ourselves. May go with Pole barn type construction. Oh and what for the flooring? cement, or pea gravel on sand, or dirt? :help

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My babies live in a small 4X8 shed. We can't walk in it, but I can sit in there and play with the kids. My friend has something like you want. She has converted her old rabbit barn to a goat shed. She sections off stalls out of hog panels and metal panels she bought at an auction. There is a little shed off one side for the bucklings. The bucklings have their own yard off their shed and the older doelings area also opens to a yard. The floor is dirt.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I love my kid pen, wish I had room...OK money to add on about 3 more :) 5 foot solid walls, one wall is corral boards so they stick their head through the board slats to eat their grain, minerals and alfalfa in troughs on my side of their barn so I don't have to go in with them to fill it up. I also can reach their hay feeder on the wall to fill it up without going in. In QCSupply and other livestock catalogs they carry this wall board for pig houses. Sheets of hard plastic that you can powerwash, bleach, they are industructable! Also lighting for those 2am feedings of small quads :) I like to keep milkers and kids until weaned all under the same roof so it's only one trip to all the work...with juniors until they are almost FF and the bucks out in their own areas.

I soo prefer dirt, so the pen can stay empty once the kids are weaned and out in the junior woods pen...so the shavings can be raked out, the pen limed and laid to rest. I also mow really short their 'pasture' and with no adult poop allowed, worming is minimal for adult worms, gets the kids off to that quick faststart they need to be bred when they are 8 months old.

Now the cold? Can't help you, ours is about heat :) Vicki

4. haeema

haeema New Member

We have a temporary shed. We used an old camper shell and put it up on 4' walls. They get light and stay very warm. This is just using what you have! Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.....wait, did someone else say that???

5. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Vicki
    Do you have any pictures of how you do the feeders? I so hate being mobbed & did cattle panels with PVC trough for my biggest pen & for my bucks......but my kids fot right through the cattle panels so I need some way of doing it so they don't get through

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I make do right now, but don't have an Inside area to feed them so when it rains it's hell, and No good area for Little babies so they stay in till march usually. I have big dog houses, big metal things, big white plastic thingy's . But I want a safe for a 2 day old baby Barn! : )

7. My kidding area is in the barn. Its a 12x12 section with 4 stalls. the stalls have dividers in them so I can open them up, or if I wanted I could take the hog panels down and open up the 12x12 section. Stalls are big enough for the pygmys and their kids since they usually only stay in them for a week. Now if I had nubians kidding there and dam raising I'd want the stalls a bit bigger but they just go in there kid, I remove the kids immediately. Once the does pass the after birth they go back with the herd, unless they are really tired or something is wrong then they can stay in the stall to recooperate. This set up works for me but I dont have alot of does kidding at the same time. Maximum is 4. I have pictures of the set up if you want me to find them I will. :D

8. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Some of the photos would be great in the post on Goatkeeping 101 under management tips.

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

My kid/kidding barn is built off the garage about 40 feet from the back door :) It is 14’ X 24’ with removable solid panels to make 6, 8 foot deep stalls a combination of larger or smaller stalls or one big area. It has a 6’ overhang on the front like a porch. I love it!

Christy

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I am only keeping does this year and will have a separated pen on the side of my new milk barn with an area they can get into in the barn. There will be a separate tiny playpen area for new borns inside the milking area. Will take pictures when I have it done.