kid a bit premature, anything else I need to do?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by farm mom, Apr 22, 2008.

1. farm mom

farm mom New Member

So, my FF Saanen had a doe kid this morning. I was told by the breeder I bought her from she was due beginning June. Well, she had a kid this morning. Kid is doing pretty well. Drank 4 oz of mom's colostrum, I gave her selenium/Vit. E, and probiotics. She is alert, making noise, peed. I am assuming she is premature because she only weighs 4.5 lbs and is still a bit weak to stand up. She has tried to stand it just isn't happening. Anything else I need to do besides normal kid care? Oh, and mom didn't get her pre kidding vacs since I didn't think it was time. Anything I need to do with baby in that departement? Unfortunately I don't have an older does colostrum.

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I don't know for sure but would the little doeling even be developed enough to survive a minute out of the womb if she still had a month to go? Maybe she's not all that early.

Just a thought. I am new at this.

3. farm mom

farm mom New Member

No, I assuming that she was definitely not due early June. The breeder put her in with the buck in December. She was in with her sister. Sister got bred but when I would call to see if Willow was bred yet or not she kept telling me how "sneaky" she seemed to be because she had not seen them breed yet. She let her stay in for two cycles and I picked her up in February. She assumed she was probably due around the same time as sister. However, the kid pen was butted right up to the buck pen (which I think is a silly practice) and I am assuming she was bred through the pen earlier. However, since the kid has a pretty low birthweight and is not able to stand yet I am assuming she is still a bit premature but certainly not 1.5 months premature. Don't think she would even have any hair yet if that was the case and certainly wouldn't be alive.

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Perhaps she was due at the begining of May??? In any case. Keep her warm and well fed. Giving her BoSe wouldn't hurt either if you haven't done that already.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Woopsie...Sneaky is right. She was bred on an earlier heat cycle. Make sure she gets her colostrom and like Kim said, keep her warm. If she were mine I would put her in a rubbermaid tote and put her by my bed with a diaper on her for a few days and yep, I would get up in the middle of the night to feed her a bottle about 1 a.m. Congrats on your new baby. In a couple of days she will be bouncing all over. If they come a few days early sometimes it takes them a few days to be 100%. I just had boer babies born 5 days early and it has taken them about 5 days to really find their legs.

6. farm mom

farm mom New Member

Thanks, yep she is in the house in a rubbermaid tote. So far she is doing well and standing with support and holding it herself for a few seconds.

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

My gloria's kids were over a week early, 7.5 and 6.5 pounds respectively. Aside from being a little scrawny, you can also tell they were early because they are "raw" they are both standing ok today, but thier nervous system just isn't quite there, shaking thier heads and bodies alot like they are getting chill (and sometimes maybe they are, LOL!) The doe had real issues sucking from a bottle until I made the hole HUGE for her. Now she is doing much better with her sucking relfex.