Kelp

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Nov 9, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Anyone have any brands of Kelp they prefer? Also, what should I expect to pay for it? I am hoping to keep it out free choice, how much should I expect to go through with 7 adult does, 3 juniors and 2 bucks? And, do I give it to the bucks?

Thanks,

Paula

2. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

A friend of mine uses it and swears by it, she gives it to her goats and horses.
    I know it ain't cheap about $50.00 for 50 #'s but everything coast also where I live.
    Hummm I live 5 minutes from the ocean :lol Anyway I got 5 #'s from her and my goats don't really want anything to do with it. My friend did say that sometimes her critters eat it down and other times they don't.

3. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

My understanding is that Thorvin kelp is the best. Quite costly, but probably worth it.
    My goat mineral I use has it in it. We might discuss with Karen about it this weekend.
    Les

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My mineral also contains it. It was actually the reason my husband bought home the Tech Master the first time, he knew how much I complained about mixing and the drive up to the coop for my yeast and kelp. I don't see any reason at all for using it free choice though. The importance of the copper products in your loose minerals is soo much more important than trace minerals you would get in kelp. I used to mix 4 parts minerals, 1 part kelp...I fed Diamond V yeast to just fresh milkers until the 50 pounds was gone. But Diamond V is not a souce of sodium. I would be worried that free choice kelp would keep my girls from eating as much of the mineral they have to eat to stay healthy. Vicki

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks Les and Vicki

Les, what mineral do you use again...if you can get it I should be able to...hopefully. I know I can't get the tech-master. And, I'll have to look but I don't think the magnum milk has kelp.

P

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No, the Sweetlix Caprine Magnum Milk doesn't have kelp in it.

I buy my kelp from North American Kelp:

http://www.noamkelp.com/

You get a shipping discount if you buy 4+ bags.

Sara

7. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I use the Forage Master Goat Mineral by Co-op. Ann Peischel formulated it. It has Thorvin kelp in it.
    Les