Kefir and CAE risk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Apr 24, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

A friend gave me some grains to restart with. (DH fed the last batch to the pigs, not knowing what it was). I was planning on feeding it to my new purchased babies who are bottle raised CAE prevention. But I did learn that the milk it came in and had grown in was raw GM. I checked with her and her does all recently tested Negative for CAE.

Is it safe to use the kefir I am making from this? If I rinse these grains and start them again in pasteurized milk, is it safe then? I assume the tmeps that Id need to use to "pasteurize" them or the kefir made from them would destroy any beneficial organisms so that isnt an option.

I'm thinking its very low risk, since the does were negative, but wanted some other opinions before I did anything. One of the babies I'm feeding belongs to the person who sent me the grains, and she left me a message that she wasnt sure either, thought that it was safe, but figured we should ask here before feeding it.

Enquiring minds want to know! LOL

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

My understanding is that if they are rinsed really good they can be used then in pasturized milk . This is what I have been doing the past couple years. Of course the tests on these kids will remain to be seen as far as results. My goats have all been negative prior test too but new ones on the kefir have not been tested.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Laura I moved a group of my kefir to a pasteurised glass about 2 weeks before kidding, they had been living in frozen milk since Christy renewed mine for me. I rinsed them well, and let them grow in the pasteurised milk for a few days, rinseing them every day...I was just using this on the dogs. About 7 days of this and I had kids to feed it to. I love kefier. In our heat though you have to feed it, if you leave it in the lambar for any length of time you have cheese quickly.

You really do need to stop the whole idea that one persons milk is safe because she is negative. No milk is safe period, unless you pasteurise it or it's homogonized/pasteurised from the store. The fastest way to a positive herd is to be lax with any part of your CAE pevention program. Vicki

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

When I ran out of GM to soap with my only local goat friend here gave me some of hers. Then when Gloria kidded early and I needed some GM to mix with the stupid powdered colostrum cause I wrecked Gloria's I pulled some of hers out of the freezer and pasturized it. She couldn't believe I would go to so much work to pasturize her milk when all her does were negative for everything. She also thinks it's crazy that I won't sell the one doe that I tested last year and was negative for CAE until her current tests come back negative.

I've been looking for a mentor for goats, and though I love her she won't work just because of her beliefs in this area. She has helped with other things though so I take what she says with a grain of salt sometimes....

5. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I know, I understand that concept, and I dont trust negative does- they can convert, even years down the line-and I assume they can shed active, infective virus in thier milk before they test positive. When I say low risk, I dont mean no risk- and its not one I'm willing to take on these babies of mine-not when i can easily avoid it. Thats why I asked about the kefir grains.

Even rinsing them and putting them in fresh pasteurized, I was concerned. Its one thing to take a calculated risk dam raising, etc when the benefits of doing so outweight the risk. I left on low value kids this year because of just that-if they turned up positive, they were no great loss. I wasnt selling them as high dollar CAE prevention kids.

But I dont want to take any chances with the new babies-none at all. I'm being really careful. I may need to find kefir grains then that havent been in unpasteurized milk. Right now its going to the dogs, pigs, chickens and me :) but I wont give it to the goats unless I know its risk free. My gut says not.