Kateri's does born dead - Seriously bummed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by wheytogosaanens, Mar 11, 2008.

1. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Well Kateri had loose ligaments about 2PM and a string of goop by 6 PM. Walking around and chewing her cud, so we waited patiently.

Checked her throughout chores and then every 1/2 hour after that. No noise, no digging, no rubbing. Nada.

Checked her at 11P and then for some reason decided to check her before giving the last colostrum meal for the 5 new does. She had a brand new
    doeling at her back end, steam still rising from it. Grabbed her and cleaned her mouth and swung her. Briskly rubbed with towels and
    did CPR. Nothing. She was dead. Kateri was busy eating her goop, so left to get DH. She chewed her cud, sauntered around for about 5-7
    minutes. Finally DH decided to check her. Went way down deep (Kateri is a huge, deep bodied doe) and all he could find was a tail.
    He waited a minute or so and finally she gave a few pushes, enabling him to snag a rear leg. Gently pulled it forward and guided the kid
    forward. Finally found the other leg and guided the kid out. She was flacid. Tried swinging her anyway and CPR, but she had been dead before delivery.

Kateri is mildly depressed. How do they know the kids died, as opposed to the ones we "steal" from them? Gave her some banamine for
    comfort and some treats. She passed her placenta within 10 minutes of delivering the 2nd kid. And yes, we checked for any more.

Really looking forward to this breeding and to have 2 does... What a gift.

We are speculating that they had already died, which is why she didn't actively labor like the other girls. There is that little teeny voice that says "Maybe if you had gone in and checked her earlier..." I guess we'll never know.

Camille

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Gosh what a depressing event. yep seems if they are dead there just doesn't seem to be the hard contractions. Sorry this happened for you.

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I'm really bummed for you. That is hard news. Sorry. :(

-Kim

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

How awful. It seems there has been a lot of bad stuff happening lately. Maybe things will straighten out for the better soon. So sorry.

5. Jennie

Jennie Guest

Oh Camille, I'm so sorry. It's been a yr of bad stories. Hugs.

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Sorry . But at least she is OK and you can repeat the breeding {i Hope}

Patty

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Aww man. Sorry and both were doelings. Phooey. :down

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Sorry to hear that, nothing is more depressing than dead doelings, especially if they are full-term and normal looking.

9. susie

susie New Member

awww, I'm so sorry :(

Susie

10. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Thanks you guys. I am focusing on all the other does we had this year - much more cheerful thoughts.

Hopefully everyone else's kiddings go smoothly for them.

Camille

11. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I'm so sorry. :/

Kalne

12. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

Aww sorry to hear that Camille. I am sure you were really dissapointed. thankgoodness you have been having a good kidding year so far and hopefully this will be all the trouble you have for the year!

13. Terry

Terry New Member

14. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Sorry Camille, :down

15. Melissa

Melissa New Member

sorry to hear about the kids being lost. dosen't it always seem to be the ones we look faward to the most?

-Melissa