Just got back from the Vet

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by lyceum, Feb 14, 2008.

1. lyceum

lyceum New Member

We just got back from the Vet with our 11 week old Boer Buck kid that was being raised for meat. 2 weeks ago he decided to jump a panel and break one of his back legs. Nasty break, open and everything. Vet said that it looks great and is healing well. 4 more weeks and he goes back. The last goat that did this had to have his lege amputated. So needless to say, I was not optimistic about this little guy's chances. Shows what I know. Ruppert (the baby) is now back with mom with his huge wrapped leg.

If I did not work for this Vet, there is no way that any goats would be going there. But, I get discounts on everything, don't get charged exam fees (normally $30). They will give me any meds I need. The goat was put under a little to rebandage his leg. They let me help with everything, which is great.

They were also fabulous with my Nigie doeling that has what they believe is Bacterial Meningitis. She is never going to be the same again, but can be maintained with occasional steroids. Both vets at this practice have great knowlege of goats, which is great for us!!

Carisa

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

You are so lucky to be working for a vet. I know if one of my wethers broke his leg sufficiently to require a trip to the vet, he'd go in the freezer sooner rather than later.
    Kathie

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is for sure. How do you think your ND got that? have never heard of it in goats?

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Carisa, why do you say this? Is it because it would Cost too much? or they like so many other vets Won't treat goats? You say they are great with goats, wish I had the luxury. I always say "any sick goat in Steuben county Indiana, if the owner doesn't know me or Mary It's a soon to be dead goat."

5. lyceum

lyceum New Member

Sherrie- If I didn't work there, it would cost double what I get charged for all procedures and more for all products. With all the kidding problems we had the past 2 years, it would cost a small fortune every time we went. This year so far, no kidding problems!

Sondra-I hadn't either until I was looking through medical books and talked with the vet. She is not for sure that this is what the little girl has, but it is a brain infection of some sort. Not polio like the first vet from another clinic thought.

Carisa

6. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I am glad your little one is going to be ok.

Autumn