Just did my first fecal - barberpole??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mysacrificenubians, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

Well, I just did my first fecal. My family thought I was nuts for playing with poo :crazy I, on the other hand, thought it was very interesting!
    First doe is 5 years old and I saw one of these eggs on the entire slide. She's been on the property for five years.
    Second doe is 2 years old and I counted 16 of these eggs. She's been on the property for three months.

I've looked at the pictures available and I just want to make sure that I am correctly identifying them. Are they barberpole? The image isn't the best...
    [​IMG]

2. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I know this does not answer your question, but what microscope are you using? I connects to your computer so you can pull those images?

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I am assuming, like most other do on here, she just took the picture (through the eye piece) with a digital camera and uploaded it. :)

Sara

4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

They look like barberpole to me. But last time I was wrong ha!

5. mysacrificenubians

That's exactly how I did it. I've seen others that are much clearer and even have a pointer, but I don't know how they got their great images. :):

6. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Too funny! I never would have thought you could get such a good picture that way.

I need to start looking at microscopes and figure out which one I should buy. Only a million to pick from ranging from cheap to make me cry prices.

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

What objective are you using?

From the identification key I have...that is either haemonchus (barberpole worm) or ostertagia (brown stomach worm), hard to tell since the photo is dark. All three of which are treated with Cydectin.

8. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Where did you get the identification key from?

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

It's from a goat seminar a couple years back.

10. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I probably can pull one off the net.

Thanks!

11. crocee

crocee New Member

I lightened up the picture so I could see what it was. I have to do fecal on my 2 goats so I am looking for an identification key myself.

12. mysacrificenubians

I got the microscope from e-bay. If I remember it was about $50?? It's got a light source and three different magnifications. I do have to move the slide with my fingers because it doesn't have a knob to move the slide back and forth, just up and down to focus. But with my vast experience doing fecals (ha ha, I've done 2! :biggrin) it does the job.

precision*world was the seller.

I printed out instructions and pictures from here and the fiasco farms website.

13. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

That is two more than me.

Guess if I can find one that has 100x I should be good. Off to the net I go.

14. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

In comparing, with the dark ring around I think it looks more like coccidia to me? Need some veteran help on this one? As I saw a similar thing on my doe and went with Cocci.

P

15. mysacrificenubians

Paula,
    Good point about the coccidia. After comparing things over and over (and over again) I didn't think they were cocci because from the photos that I have there seems to be more space inside the egg wall of coccidia. The description is that they look like a hard boiled egg split in half with the "yoke" clearly visible. The eggs that I saw filled up the whole thing. Plus at X100 magnification I could clearly see that it was an egg of something, the coccidia appear to be much smaller and I think I would have missed them at that magnification unless there were a whole lot of them.

I dewormed her and will be re-checking, so if she still has about the same amount I will assume either they are cocci or cydectin isn't working!

16. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

No, I don't think they are cocci.

17. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Not cocci - it is a strongil from what I can see.