It's almost time... I'm freaking out!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Apr 12, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

My FF Nubian girls are due sometime in the next few weeks. This morning they both had some gook coming out of their vulvas. Holly definitely had more and her udder is filling. I was stuck at soccer games for 8 hours today :crazy so when I got home I checked on them and Holly's poop is the consistency of horse poop. You can barely berries but they are fat and stuck together. Is this normal before freshening?

I thought I was prepared but my husband just left town for the night and all of tomorrow and I'm freaking out! When do I separate them from the herd and put them in the kidding area? Should I wait until they are definitely in labor?

Help,
    Tiffany

2. Rose

Rose New Member

Freaking is not useful. :D

Separate them if it makes you feel better.

Drink a beverage.

3. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I like to keep kidding pens as clean as possible.
    So if I am home and can keep an eye on the does I leave them out.
    But when I am not home or it's night I put them in the kidding pen so if they kid I know it well be in a clean place.
    Fran

4. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thanks Fran, I'm going out right now to do some last minute cleaning.

Tiffany

5. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Is Holly eating a lot of fresh green stuff and has she been wormed lately.
    I would go ahead and worm her to make sure that it is not worms.
    Fran

6. When I know due dates I usually move them into the kidding stalls a few days before. When I dont know due dates, I move them when I think they are close. Which I have been off before...lol For my pygmys, I'd rather screw up and put them in too early then not have them in and they end up kidding outside in the pen with the rest of the herd.

7. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

They were wormed around 100 days about 50 days ago. Should I do it again or just keep an eye on it? She isn't eating anything new... grass hay, alfalfa pellets, browse, oats and corn and boss.

Tiffany

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Then they are close and I wouldn't worry abt the poo unless runny but I would put them up at night now and watch if your home if your not going to be home them put them up.

9. reedfarm

reedfarm Guest

Just relax - Putting her in a clean pen at night will make you feel better. Make sure she has plenty of water! If she is eating in the morning let her run with the others for the day, then put her back in the pen at night. Let nature take it course. You will do fine - it is great that you are so alert to the changes in her body. When she looks sunken in you know she will have them soon. Good Luck!
    Kris
    reedfarm.net

10. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I like the beverage idea....
    Kidding stalls are a must. Especially for FF so they don't strew them around here and there or drop them in the water bucket and other typical goatie type behaviors.
    You can easily fix a place with some cattle panels- it does not have to be large- just clean.
    Keep watching for her ligaments to loosen- the easiest way to describe it is that you can see the spinal column from the hips back to the tail like it has risen up and as time gets closer you can see and feel alot of changes there.
    Best luck -it will be so fun!
    Lee

11. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Oh thanks Lee. I keep forgetting to check her ligaments. I only think of it when I get back in the house. I'll go check it out now. BTW, it is supposed to get into the 40's here tonight. I haven't thought to check about having babies in cold weather since its been in the 60's at night here. Should I dig up a heater to take out there just in case?

Tiffany

12. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I don't heat for 40's-but if you catch them kidding and can help dry them so they don't chill that would help. I run heat lamps inside boxes that are in each stall and the babies find them within a short time of birth if they are cold. But we don't turn on the lamps unless it is 30's or below. They like the boxes even without the lights and can really relax to sleep without fear of being stepped on. We do all our kidding in fall and winter which is why we set up with the hot boxes. They can spend thier energy growing instead of keeping warm but keep in mind -too warm is not good either. IF you heat make sure they cannot get to the heater or knock it over.

One thing that helps alot in cleanup is to get some of your empty feed bags and as soon as the kid is delivered lay them on a bag that has been cut open. This will keep your hay or chips from sticking to the goopy kid and make it easier to clean up.
    Remove the bags when the kids are clean and up and use them to wrap any uneaten afterbirth unless you let your dogs eat that. Some LGD's will help with that.

I missed a FF this year and found her with 2 sparkling clean kiddos with full bellies so they actually DO know how to do this.
    Lee

13. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

You don't know how badly I am hoping these are some of the ones who know what they are doing! Ligaments seem a bit different to me now. I can really reach around her tail. I have the feed bags ready!

14. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Do you have a due date or just that you know they will be ready in a few weeks? That is key. My FF doe that kidded 5 days ago did not have a due date. I was new to this. :lol And I figured she was going to pop them out everytime she twitched. Ask anyone on this site how much of an insane mess I was.... :rofl My best advice to you now is: It WILL happen when SHE is ready. AND... You can lose your mind after they kid. :D Have fun! It is definitely worth it.

-Kim (Shykid)
    Upstate NY, The wilderness part.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH Kim is so right :rofl

16. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:D One more thing I forgot to mention. When they are in heavy labor, there is no, "Is she, isn't she, she might be...I don't know." You WILL know. There is no doubt. :D

17. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thanks Kim good to know. I asked the previous owners when they were exposed when I bought them and thier anser was, "Two months ago? Yeah two months ago." Monday will be exactly 3 months from the day I bought them.

Everything is normal today, theres not even goo coming out any more. Who knows?!

18. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

3 months plus approx. 2 months. By that...they could go any time. Keep track of them. Some of the symptoms that Solana, my doe showed that she did not show any other time were, hunched up a bit. Distracted acting. AND a few hours before she kidded, probably 6-8 hours before she had a very thick WHITE goo not hanging out of her vulva but at it's opening.
    Hope this helps a little. She was also sunk and STAYED sunk in her flanks for a day before hand and all through the night. I could not even feel her ligaments the night before she kidded they were that soft. Take care and get your kidding bag ready BEFORE you need it...like probably right now. So you will have all you need when you need it. Have fun!

19. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I wouldn't worry about softer poop if they are close. . . some does will get it before they kid and then to right back to normal.

20. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

My doe did that for about a week maybe more. Funny looking like that and then fine and then back again.