It Happened

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

:nooo

My buck broke out of his pen this morning.

I checked all the girls. There are three he definitely did NOT get, two for sures and two maybes.

The most frustrating part... We bought new heavy duty Powder River Panels this weekend to make sure this wouldn't happen. But we were unable to get the auger to sink post holes for the gates, so it didn't get put up.

The buck and buckling are currently in cattle panels. My buck, Astro, has the panels all distended and distorted, so we knew we were gonna need something stronger. This morning he popped one of the latches and squeezed thru a space that, by eyeing it, you wouldn't think he could fit thru.

Oh well, I guess I'm changing my breeding plans. I was gonna wait until mid November to start breeding. With more than half possibly bred, we'll just "adjust" our plans.

2. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

On the bright spot at least it was only ONE buck that broke out and not a whole pen of them! Whose your Daddy?? :? February really isn't that bad or time to start kidding - the kids really do grow great! :D
    Mary

3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

And at least he's the right buck, not some other breed or something :) Glad I'm not alone. :blush2

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH my do I feel your pain :) Tho it was my Nubian does that broke out into a pen of LaMancha and Nubian Bucks so every one had to get the lute.

5. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Sorry for you...I would have a hard time rejoicing if it were me. :) Kristin

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

That is frustrating, You want a buck pen to hold those bucks!! What if you had 3 bucks and definate breeding plans, and bucks climbing all over. Back to the drawing board for the buck pen.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah Sherrie??? I have a buck pen to hold my bucks also. But when a 100 year old oak that is nearly 6 feet tall even down on the ground....goes down during a huricane, and over 2 fences, which then your 4 year old uses to jump up on and over to breed his daughter...well you get it :) I am also rejoicing that neither Nic nor Chico my MM could jump high enough to get on the down log. They spent one night in the trailer fighting until I had to call a friend and give her free breedings to her does if she kept him :) he comes home this weekend with the tree already split into firewood and the fence fixed :) Best laid plans and all :) Vicki

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Well, that was an "act of God!" Totally not the goats fault.

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Or yours for not building it strong enough in the first place. :)

Sara

10. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

They can be amazing escape artists though. We have one 08 ND buckling that we are housing in a 2 horse trailer because he has discovered girls and we don't have any dates lined up for him yet. He managed to escape out of the trailer! I don't know how he managed but he would have had to jump out over the top of of the back of the trailer doors and he is probably only 14-15" at the withers. The other older buck that is also housed in there didn't get out... we think it may have been team work :crazy

Trisha

11. eliya

eliya New Member

Oh, my. I've had my share of escape artist bucks. Part of the reason I prefer the MiniNubian bucks over the Nigerians is that the MiniNubians are MUCH easier to contain. One of my first Nigerian Dwarf bucks would jump a 6 foot fence to get with the does. Don't ask me how he managed that, but we saw him do it several times. Ended up breeding his dam which turned out to be a wonderful cross, but would never have done that on purpose. That buck eventually broke his neck trying to jump something. Crazy goats! Fortunately none of his kids ended up being jumpers.

12. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

What amazing goats! I was DETERMINED to keep my buck at pasture this season with his wether friend, but that just wasnt' meant to be. He didn't like it at all. Luckily we've got the new barn up, and I was able to put him in a stall with an attached paddock where the girls are milling around him most of the time. He behaves himself and is quiet until they go off over the hill to graze with the horses. Then he is quite loud. So far the 54 inch cattle panels have kept him where he's supposed to be. He's eating well and not pacing like he did last year and is holding his weight, and probably gaining a bit back since we've got the new arrangement. Maybe next year we'll have the far pasture "buck proofed". He broke into the girls paddock before the new arrangement, but only two of the older girls have came into heat that I know of and he bred both of those. The rest are younger and I am hoping to wait until Oct. or Nov. to breed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! BUCKS!
    Anits

13. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

My yard smells !!!!!!!! 2 Boer bucks out front and 1 dairy buck on the side and I am in the middle = stinky !! :rofl

I will be glad when breeding season is over but it will be awhile as I have 2 big pregnant Boer does due and 2 spring born NuMancha doelings that I am going to wait till November to breed unless Buster buck jumps the fence ....BUCKS! :D

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

So far, none of my bucks has been able to escape their pen this year. When they have, the big guys were never the problem. They couldn't get into the does' pen. It was the little Boer buckling I was holding for a customer a few years ago that was a problem. He wanted his mama and was able to sneak back into the doe pen. While there, he managed to impregnate two of the dairy does. Kathie

15. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I feel your pain as I have to lute 4 Nigi does as my LM buck got thru and dont know how but the girls will be getting a surprise from me...better to be safe than sorry alter. Yep 4 shots of lute in a few days.
    Kathy

16. I hate to jinx myself, *but* thus far, there has only been three or four incidents...each time it was only one buck involved (and we've had anywhere from 6-8 bucks at a time this Fall). I did Lute the Prev babies that William bred at. Mostly because the one in heat was his daughter and if we were going to do the one may as well do the other three that had not cycled back.
    William has been put in the Penalty Box and there have been no issues since. His next move is to the Stock Trailer with Pipe panels and Snow White and her wether. That is the only doe I have for him to breed, but he is such a big lug I hate to part with him...lol. He trains my younger boys to have manners.
    Crocus and X43 broke out when the bucks were out on pasture a few months back. They were both Luted because there were 3 Nubian bucks and 3 Boer (Boer X) bucks they joined up with. Only way I would have known who the daddy was, was if the kids had come out polled!

We had trees fall on goat fences. Even had one fall into the main buck pen, *but* the buck fence remained intact. The cannot be said about all of the doe pen fencing. I was counting my blessings!

17. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Two of my bucks (MM & LM) just about demolished the utility panel fence they shared... grrrr We had to cut off 3ft they completely sprung...

18. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Goodness Lynn, those things are tough!

I know a guy who had a buck deer, you should have seen that fence, it was about 8 ft tall, around his entire acreage. And that buck was mean, he had a doe with it. One year some dufus out hunting shot the buck (and he was a big one!) through the fence, now this guy that had this buck well, he's not someone you go shooting his animal is all I'll say and this doof not only shot it, but tried to say the deer he shot, on the owners property, was his and tried to take it home. I'm suprised he survived, truly.