Is tonight the night?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Feb 3, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I'm up on "doe watch" because I think it might!

Dora is my spotted 2 yo FF and my only full blood Nubian doe. (the other is an American). I pasture bred this year, so dont have a due date (which I hate, this wont happen again next year for sure!) She's developed a nice little udder. She's had some clear goopy stringy stuff for the last week on and off.

Yesterday afternoon there was a thick yellow and brick colored string about 7 or 8 inches long. I'm assuming that was the mucous plug. Last evening late I could feel the ligaments had changed from the afternoon, but thought I could still feel something? Since noon today, I think her ligs are gone, and I can get my fingers just about all the way around her tail head.

Tonight she started nesting. I guess I first saw that on my 11 PMish pen check. Grabbed the birthing kit, and stayed down there in the fresh straw I just put down for about an hour and a half.

Besides another small yellow string late evening, she hasnt shown obvious labor. She's still begging for treats. She has gotten pretty lovey, and screams whenever I leave her; this is a big change for her, shes unusally very standoffish, tonight she's letting me pet her and brush her, and is being unusually affectionate. She's really hungry, or at least jonesing for treats, she's got plenty of hay in front of her but is still trying to tease anything she can get out of my pockets.

Havent been online for a few days since my computer is in the shop. So I came back to the house and got on hubbies computer. Figured I'd catch up here while waiting for the next check.

I just cant imagine her going on like this much longer! Shes looking good, healthy, happy and active, no sign shes sick or in pain, so I dont htink shes quite started active labor just yet. I'm guessing she'll start some time in the next 12 hrs. though, does that sound about right? I sure hope so, its great shes doing this in the weekend I'm off. I really want those babies out safe and sound before I have to go back to work on Monday.

Wish me luck, this will be my first kidding in about 6 yrs.... I was still pretty much a novice back then with only a few years in goats, so I really feel like a newbie all over again! I think I'll go make myself a cup of tea, and bundle up a bit and head back down to sit there for a bit! Anybody else up on doe watch tonight?

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin You'll be just fine.....maybe a little sleep deprived is all.
    Hope she does well.....get us some baby pics when they get here.

Best wishes, Whim

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Sounds soon to me ...I have 1 when she isnt PG she is lovey but when she is PG she dont want you to touch her, till she is ready to have them and then she is all over you...Good lcuk hope she goes soon..

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hopefully babies by now.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are you still watching Laura?

I hate it when does discharge before their due dates, keep me watching them and then kid on their due date! Purebred and American...Fullblood is boer. Vicki

6. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks, Vicki, I get that wrong all the time!

STILL no babies! I sat up until after 4 with her, when David got up and promised he'd check on her frequently. Caught a few hours sleep and started the pen watch again by 9. Figured she was savign it up to interrupt the SuperBowl, but I guess not. She still acts just fine, and theres no sign of contractions yet.

From everything Ive been told, when they start stringing the opaque yellow goo, its usually the mucous plug and they go within 24 hrs from that. Dora obviously hasnt read that book!

Do I need to worry about this, or is it normal with a first freshener to go longer? Shes bright, active and it doesnt smell or seem like an infection, and i even checked her temp and it was normal.

Whim, I think youre right, I'm the one who is going to end up sleep deprived, and she'll be just fine! I hate it that she hasnt gone yet, cause I do have to work in the morning, I cant just stay home to watch a goat-even if I think its a great idea. If I defintiely had a due date, I could do like others and just lute her and get it over with, but I'm leery about it.

I am never, ever pasture breeding again! My nerves cant take it.

7. NubianSoaps.com

Nope nothing to worry about you just get to wait. :) Vicki

8. LMonty

LMonty New Member

She delivered twins this afternoon while I was at work, DH was out and saw her water break and helped, she had one twin presenting with one front hoof and the other breech with a single back leg stuck out. He called me but I was in a place where my cell doesnt get service, so he got our goat mentor in NC on the phone and she talked him thru it, the first time he has ever doen anything like that! I am really proud of him.
    Buck in a plain brown wrapper born first, active and alert. Very flashy black and white doe born second- and dead. He tried to revive her but no luck. I just got home and checked them over, and her airway was full of fluid.
    Greatful that Dora is doing well, and that one kid lived and is OK. Really bummed we lost what would have been a keeper doe.
    Well, I gotta go milk her out and need to give some antibiotics since he was in up to his elbow and casually mentioned "I didnt have time to go wash my hands". He did iodine and tie off the navel though. I love that man!

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Give your hubby a pat on the back!! sorry you lost the doe kid but sometimes these things just happen especially when breech.

10. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks, Sondra.

What is the preferred antibiotic here for post kidding "Ive been in up to my elbow" prohylaxis? It used to be PCN, but not sure you guys are using that in this circumstance or not. Figured I'd ask before I give it.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kinda depends on how evasive etc. normally I use nothing unless very very evasive and then us a tetracycline uterine flush. But even people obgyn doesn't use anything in most cases I don't in most goats. NOW if there were decomposed etc then I wouldn't hesitate to us a flush and to start on antibiotics sq

12. NubianSoaps.com

With a dead kid I always flush with oxytet. With someone else delivering my kid and not me, and him fishing around, I would put her on penn (any 300,000 unit pen is used at 3cc per 50 pounds, once a day for this, twice a day if she starts running a temp etc...) for at least 3 days, longer if the lochia is not a normal amount...I freak just as much if it's too much or to bright...as I do when it is not enough. They should have a good healthy discharge. Vicki

13. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks guys.

I have a PEN BP-48 thats a LA and short acting mix, 150,000 units each per cc. I just weight taped her at 140-145 lbs (yea, she's a bit petite.) I wormed her with cydectin, gave her 2 cc of the PEN (sounds like I should at least double that, eh?) and 2 cc BO-Se.

Got Kefir into both of them. Gave the baby 1 cc Bo-Se. I washed her off and went in and did a pelvic myself. Remembering the post on making sure to check both horns, I think I got that done, I'm not quite sure I got all way into the left one, I ran out of arm :) She did pass a nice intact placenta right before I did this, when I was setting up. Looks whole to me. I think I felt umbilical cord inside, and possibly another placenta? I couldnt feel anything that felt like a kid.

I have to laugh, as I was getting ready, my hubby said "Do you want me to go back in? I'll go wash up". He really felt good about his save :) he just told me it was great learning experience and with other does due "I'm not going to lose another one, now I know what it feels like and I won't have to wait to call and ask how to do it". I think he's doing great :)

Milked her for the first time, and got just about 3 qts of lovely colostrum! Spilled a little so it might have been more. It was great, I figured she would give me a royal battle, but she only kicked once and settled right down, ate well. Nice thing was I didnt even have to think about how to milk, once I got in positon, even though its been so long, it just came right back like riding a bike.

Well, the baby isnt the loud spots I like but it looks like he has some color after all. Still in mouring for that doe, she's had been a perfect mix with one of Vickies bucks that is the loud black and white :(

Vicki, I can't find the info on here how to do a tet flush. I have brand new bottle of oxytet. I couldnt find the article by Sue Reith here on 101 or on google. I'm going to get that colostrum pasteurized, and check back, if you have a link, that would be awesome and much appreciated.

14. NubianSoaps.com

I'ts under getting that doe bred or settled...something like that with the info on a uterine flush. I just put some in a gloved hand and bathe the uterus with it, right after they pass the placenta....or thread up the tube into my hand and syringe alot in to bathe if it was really bad...slurry kid especially.

Remember there is no long acting anything in goats so nearly 9cc subq, once aday as along as her temp doesn't rise, and take her temp every morning you are giving antibiotics. Usually by day 3 I am comfortable as long as she is milking really well, no firm udder feel (weirdly you will have lower milk and a firm udder with a uterine infection way before a fever with a very sick discharging doe. I have also kept does on penn for 10 days. Continue the bo-se every 10 days and using banamine to keep scar tissue down to a minimum the moment a feveror no lochia or a firm udder is felt. Vicki

15. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Ah, sorry you lost the doe, that's a real bummer. That's awesome your husband did so well though, and that mom is fine. :) It's nice to have someone around who can help with those things.