Is this really happening.....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shereen, May 1, 2008.

1. Shereen

Shereen New Member

or am i an idiot?

Here's the deal. My very last doe to freshen is now 11 days late. Yes, you heard me 11 days. We bred 20 girls and I have dates for all of them. We hand bred everyone walked them over to the buck, watched the buck do his thing five or six times and took the ladies back to their barn. Only one doe was bred twice and I had two dates for her.
    This gal was bred once and never came back into heat, nor did we have a buck break out.

Almost every girl that freshened was late, 3-6 days late.

She's a FF yearling Saanen (nice sized doe) bred to a La Mancha that throws little pixie sized kids. She's eating and drinking well and even going out with the rest of the herd to browse. Our goat area is a steep hillside that is a serious work out. Not dangerous, but a work out. She's not that big, but is definitely acting pregnant, laying on her side, moaning. I felt a baby kick a few times 5 or 6, and it wasn't messing around. She is not bagged up, but has been working on her udder for some time now, (as most FF do). Nothing unusual.

Now she's really 11 days late or I'm an idiot. I'm Almost positive I'm not wrong on her date, but I am human and I could of made a mistake. I don't think I did though. I really don't. My husband and I have both tried to figure this out and we are both positive we didn't breed her in Dec.
    Soooooooo-
    Now what?
    My vet is out of town till Sat. I can get an ultrasound done, but what is that gonna tell me. It won't print out a due date, nor is it gonna tell me what to do. So, I can induce her or just wait it out.
    I know they kid when they kid but what the heck is going on here.
    HELP!
    :/

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

If you absolutely know for a certain that she is 11 days late, I would wonder if you should lute her. But I am totally inexperienced so cannot advise this for sure. That is my opinion for whatever it is worth.

3. Shereen

Shereen New Member

That's my fear, that I'm not correct about the date. Can't help but to second guess myself. I'm actually really good about my record keeping, but maybe I messed up.
    11 days..... how could you not second guess yourself.
    Is that even possible??

4. Corky

Corky New Member

I read this and think about my Molly that I thought was way late and she kidded twin preemies.
    I was off a whole cycle but I did not lute her.

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Wouldn't an ultrasound show if the babies are fully developed or not?

6. LMonty

LMonty New Member

not a vet here, Ashley, but AFAIK it depends on the capabilites of the US machine, most will show general development by giving an idea of size and shape. but cant show lung development which is about the last thing to mature.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Since you don't know for sure then you shouldn't lute.

8. Shereen

Shereen New Member

Ya, I know- that's why I haven't. The only reason I'm questioning the date is because she's so late. Deep down I feel the date is correct. I have never made a mistake on a due date.
    The whole thing is really freaking me out.
    I guess my real question is how overdue can a doe actually go?
    And why would she go this long?

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are you sure she is even bred and you didn't feel rumen "kicking" and her udder is the normal maturation of a dry yearling? Blood test her, find out for good.

Like most things in goats....ultrasound is so iffy not sure I would believe it even if they are due next week :) Vicki

10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

11. Shereen

Shereen New Member

I wish I someting to report but i don't. She's the same and I have yet to have the vet come out, although he said he'll be out on wed.
    So I guess that means I made a mistake.
    I currently have 52 goat (including kids) so I happen to be very obsessive about my record keeping. Yesterday we CD&T 27 kids so I really have to be. That's why I was freaking out about her not freshening.
    I can't afford to make mistakes.

I don't know what happened, we are at completely confused.
    I'll let you know when and if I figure this out.
    Thanks for asking and everyones input.

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Shoot, best laid plans and all. Just ask on the forum how many long time breeders have had open does....shoot how about just open does this year.....hands go flying up all over the board! I had two way overdo, who I finally luted and we had mummies, I still today wonder just how long they would have gone, or would they have just finished absorbing everything and never had labor etc... no clue. No udder, but both had positive blood tests for pregnancy to within a week of the end. And I am anal about kiddings, I kid out my older does in March and my FF in April....well guess who had nearly all her FF kid first and then her older does? Me...and I sit right now with a 2 year old due to kid this next week! Obviously someone wasn't in on my best laid plans! Vicki

13. Corky

Corky New Member

Yep! I have one due the first week of JULY!

She is a FF and I guess was not ready to conceive untill I saw her crawl through a gate with a three inch gap into the bucks pen and say HI DADDY!!!! That was Feb 10th.

She was bred supposedly in October and then the buck ran with the herd till January.
    Ya never know I guess.

14. Shereen

Shereen New Member

Oh thanks a lot Vicki- did you have to go there!!?? Mummified kids??!! Where's the smiley face that's puking.
    Now I'm just praying she's open. She does have an udder though, half full, vulva is puffy, ligs are almost gone. This has been going on for two weeks now.

Did your does act any different? Could you tell how long the kids had been dead. Also, wouldn't a doe become septic/sick from having a dead kid inside her for so long.

It's gonna be a loooong year.