Is this Possible???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I just saw a post on the "Alpine Talk". The man said that his doe just gave birth to a single kid two days ago. He says there is only one problem...The doe is still preg. :jawdrop He can feel more kids kicking inside and doe is still big as a barrel. Does this sort of thing happen? How!?

-Kim

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It is possible but is rare that they would live or be living which would mean implantation in separate horns at different times.

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Separate Horns? A second uterus???

-Kim

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

More than likely his doe is lacking calcuim and will not deliver live kids left alone. He needs to get her cmpk then lute then oxitocin if she is indeed still pregnant. He needs a Vets help cause he aint doing it on his own if he thinks nature will just take its course .

Patty

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks. I copied your post Patty and sent it to this person via e-mail. I hope it helps him and its not too late.

Separate question: Is it possible for a doe to have two uterus and deliver two sets at different times just fine? It is a curious thing.

-Kim

7. Katarina

Katarina New Member

they do not have TWO uteri, they DO have 2 seperate horns to the uterus.

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks. 2 Uterus would be a major abnormality I know. I was just wondering if it was ever possible. Thanks for the answers. :)

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Every year we will hear stories like this or of other feats of science that goats do. In the end it rarely is what the person thinks.....

Anything is possible of course, does he think this is true, of course, if it true, likely not. And if it is call the local teaching University so they can come and do a paper on the goat...that kind of rare thing.

And if this is true to what end. With the uterus completely open and a kid delivered in the barn (not in an operating suite) and now she has closed her cervic and retained another set of kids to be delivered next month? Even if this was true, and confirmed by ultrasound, I would lute my doe and abort those kids for her future reproductive health...the germs inside her uterus not being able to naturally leak out. Not a good scenerio. Vicki

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Interesting Vicki. The man did not claim that the doe had 2 uterus. I came up with that crazy theory on my own. I vaguely remember reading that it was possible, but could not remember for sure. Don't know how the kids faired in that scenario though. Good point about germs being able to leak out natually. Very important to the health of the doe. :)

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Kim.....I have read about this sort of thing happening, but know no one who has had it happen to them.

Supposedly, a goat gets pregnant on a cycle....then breeds again usually about 17 days later and begins another , but separate pregnancy. She will then kid each pregnancy according to the time they are due.

Now...that is a short version of some things that I have read about........
    ......as it stands right now, I am a 3rd generation goat owner in my family....have been around goats, cows, and about you name it when it comes to farming.......never seen this happen, nor do I know anybody who has.

But hey, Lots of things are possible I guess, but the odds of this appear to be about as long as getting a 2 headed goat.

Whim

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

A two-headed goat? Now there's a picture for you. :rofl Thanks for the more detailed info on how this would happen. (The 17 days apart thing.) I find the idea of it pretty facinating. Thanks everyone for answering this interesting question.

-Kim

Anyone else hear or read something on this let me know. I'd love a link. :)

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

whim I think If a goat did the first odd thing she'ld deliver when the first kid is due, the whole package, and the under age kids would be premies and die.

14. NubianSoaps.com

Yep we have had several pregnancies like that, 3 normal kids, and then 1 or 2 kids who obviously were from another breeding the next month...when I thought she had slipped and recycled. Kidding on her first breeding.

And I misscarried myself at 3 months with one baby, to go in for an ultrasound because of more bleeding, and was still pregnant, but misscarried number 2 exactly 4 weeks later. But I also wouldn't allow life saving heroic drugs and with a 2 year old bed rest was out of the question.

But then women don't have two horns to their uterus. I do know the gal who had the early labor premie twin, was on hospital bed rest and antibiotics because of the open cervic, until she delievered baby number 2 natually some 3 months later. She was on Oprah :)

But in a barn situation I wouldn't even chance the health of my doe.

So is this guy on Alpine Talk someone who anyone knows and would trust his judgement or is a newbie nanny noitall :) Vicki

15. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

My first question upon reading this. :really Ummmm...he's going to be very disappointed IF that doe has other kids in there...in about 4 days. Just my opinion.
    Kaye

16. NubianSoaps.com

Thanks. I copied your post Patty and sent it to this person via e-mail. I hope it helps him and its not too late.

Kim, make sure and always ask before you forward anyones posts. What works better usually is to invite others to the forum. There are those who wouldn't take very kindly to "Well Vicki said this" along with the fact that unless you fix my typo's Vicki isn't happy either :) Vicki

17. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have so many typos I do not notice anyone elses !

I just invited someone from VT here today , I do it all the time. I tell them those girls down south are soooosmart . {grin}

Patty

18. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Thinking back to my Pregnancy and Parturition class in college, high levels of estrogen stimulate oxytocin receptors in mom which causes the uterus to stop blocking smooth muscle contraction. Her uterus would start to have labor contractions----soooo, I would think that the birth of the first kid should (in a perfect world) expel everything out of the uterus. I'm fairly sure this applies to uterine horns also since it would only be 1 uterus but not 100%. That class was a few years ago now but utterly fascinating!

19. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Is he sure it is kids? I have had does who I would SWEAR still had kids in there could even swear I felt them but it was in fact the doe's uterus having contractions not a "baby". We in fact had a doe kid this month with one single 11 pound buck and I could swear she could still have been pregnant with another kid but nope she wasn't. So it could be that she isn't (has he tried bumping the doe? Putting his arms around the doe's stomach and gently bumping to feel for kid(s)? I know thats how I tell now to see if there are any left).

Justine